1983 Chrysler 9.9 Impellar Question

aban_esox

Cadet
Hey everyone;<br />After several nites of no sleep from impellar paranoia, I have to get some info.<br />I have been reading alot here about impellar operation and deterioration and I have not ever checked this ob for such maintanance.<br />I have gone online to such sites as outboardparts.com in search for an impellar for this ob and cannot find one.<br />So I have to ask--does this ob even have one?<br />Also-ever since I've had it, it emits both exhaust and water from the 2 ports just below cowling in rear. Normal?<br />After we have this one figured out, we'll talk about the Merc 100.<br />Hope everyone is having as great weather as we are enjoying in Wisconsin.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1983 Chrysler 9.9 Impellar Question

Howdy, Esox.<br /> The weather here in the "sunshine state" has been lousy,at least for a guy who took 2 weeks off from werk to get in some boating/fishing time...But i did manage to make a few trips out. And the fishing has been great (better than normal).<br />The two holes on you Chrylser ob double as tell-tales. Most of the exaust/water emissions are sent-out thu the exaust port under the cavitation plate. These two ports on the back of the leg are just there to let you know it's normal at a glance...And yours is normal. And, you are correct in deciding to change-out the impeller now. A good rule-of-thumb is every two seasons, change that puppy.<br />Check with a Mercury man near you for the parts, under the "Quicksilver" brand name.<br />In 1984, Chysler was purchased by US Marine Power,and changed the name to "Force".In 1992,Mercury bought the line.For reasons of tougher emissions standards and the cost of re-designing the entire line to meet them, Merc dropped the entire line in 2000.<br />Not much was done to the basic engine designs,outside of electronics since it was Chrysler,so,your Chrysler 9.9HP is essentially identical to the 1984Force 9.9HP.<br />Parts are available under the Quicksilver brand.