1983 4.5 Hp Seahorse leaking mixture.

costy

Seaman Apprentice
Been back and forth with this issue and now I pinned it down to the EXAUST PLATE BEHIND THE CYLINDERS Big leak.
I would like to know the cause before I order the gasket for this particular plate. Is my mixture too rich? But I never faulted a plug and the engine is running perfect, the same guy mixture is escaping from the two pin holes at the bottom of the lower end just above the prop.
If anyone knows anything about this issue I would very much appreciate a response.

I really hate to pollute.
Thanks, Costy

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1983 4.5 Hp Seahorse leaking mixture.

Been back and forth with this issue and now I pinned it down to the EXAUST PLATE BEHIND THE CYLINDERS Big leak.
I would like to know the cause before I order the gasket for this particular plate. Is my mixture too rich? But I never faulted a plug and the engine is running perfect, the same guy mixture is escaping from the two pin holes at the bottom of the lower end just above the prop.
If anyone knows anything about this issue I would very much appreciate a response.

I really hate to pollute.
Thanks, Costy

That's from the flat plate on the side of the engine ?

It sounds like nothing more than unburnt oil from the fuel. Black ?

Using a TCW3 2 stroke outboard engine oil ?
Running 50:1 mixture?
Anything to suggest that the carb is flooding ? You were messing with the float and the float height adjustment a year ago. is that all OK.
Did you check the float valve as advised ?

Worth checking the mixture adjustment I guess but you only have a low speed adjustment on that engine. See Joe Reeve's carb needle adjustment instructions on the Engine FAQs board. but you were told how to do it previously. You wont harm the engine .

You only have a remote tank ... correct?? .. no internal tank ?

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

Bother duplicated the post ...

No flipping delete button!

Last edited:

costy

Seaman Apprentice

Yes to all your questions with the exception of adjusting the carb needle which I will do next.
Should I replace the exhaust plate seal?

Thanks for your impute.
Costy