1982 J60elcnm dies when running full throt

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice
J60elcnm runs fine in moderate speed but when I put it in full throttle 10 seconds later it hesitates and if I don't back it down it dies.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1982 J60elcnm dies when running full throt

Could be running out of fuel or could be overheating. What else is happening that did not happen before this problem.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

It was running fine until I changed the spark plugs. They didn't have champion at the time so I bought NGK, would that make a difference. When it happened for the first time on Friday I just thought it was low on gas so I put some in (about 2 gal) and then it still did it. I rebuilt carbs last season. I did have a similar problem before, but I increased idle and it seemed to solve the problem. I have worked on this engine quite a bit over the past 4 years and changing a blown head gasket was one project, I hope it isn't over heating again.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Personally I would change back to the champions, however I don't believe that is the cause of your current issues. Will it run "all day" at 2/3 throttle ???

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, it will run all day at 2/3 throttle.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked fuel delivery from pump to carb's ???

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Just check fuel delivery from pump to carbs, it all looks good, I put new hoses on last year when I rebuilt carbs and they look fine. I ran the engine and didn't see any leaks. I also put on a new pump last year. It's been a few years since I changed the big canister fuel filter, what happens when they need changed?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Once they become dirty, fuel won't flow through them. After a point, they cannot hold any more water so it gets to the engine. Best plan is to dump the filter periodically, and replace it once a year.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

I cleaned the filter out. I'll try it now.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Still does it. I'll replace the canister on the fuel filter and I guess I need to rebuild the carbs again.

TiminIN

Seaman Apprentice

Solved my problem...got rid of my old metal gas tank and hooked up plastic one...problem solved.
Thanks for all your input.