1982 Glastron needs an engine!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwalsh66

Cadet
I recently purchased a project boat. Glastron ssv-177 with no motor or drive. What I do know is that it came from the factory with a volvo Pentagon 4cyl. I want to put a small block 350 in it but I'm not sure if I need to use a volvo drive then or can. I use a pre alpha merc. That I already have. Also can I use a gamble housing for a merc? Or do i need one specifically for the vp? There is no gamble in it now so my options are open. Thanks for all the help
Josh

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1982 Glastron needs an engine!!

it came from the factory with a volvo Pentagon 4cyl.

it's Volvo Penta, not Pentagon.

If you keep the engine and transom shield you now have, you will need to stick with a 4 cylinder Volvo. Do you still have the bellhousing for the back of the engine?

To change everything over to a Mercruiser will require you to fill to put in a new transom. The hole in the transom is bigger than the cutout for the Merc.

Either way, it's going to be expensive and a lot of work.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Thanks don. Yeah sorry about the mistype I posted this on my phone and it auto completed it. So I guess if I'm stuck with a volvo 4cyl. Did they make any with decent hp (175 or so)? Or something can handle modification to get there? Also If I post a picture of the stern can you tell me if it indeed was a volvo? I've also got measurements of the opening. I bought the boat with no engine or drive so I'm not 100% sure what was in it but I found a volvo service manual in the glove box so that was my best guess. Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Josh

captmello

Captain

a picture of the hole in the transom should tell which drivetrain was in the boat.

Don S

Sure, post some pictures of what you have, it never hurts.

So I guess if I'm stuck with a volvo 4cyl. Did they make any with decent hp (175 or so)?

Nobody has any 175 hp 4 cylinders.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Captmello ill post one as soon as I get home from work. Don s but wasn't the merc 470 165 hp? That's pretty close and you can get 10 extra horse pot of any engine with timing. Also I don't have any of the original motor parts a guy pulled the engine, drive and gimble and sold me the boat on a really nice shore landr. Trailer for 200 bucks. So I'm trying to get something in it to get on the water. Like I said previously id like a 350 but ill post some pictures and you guys let me know what my options are.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral

...and you can get 10 extra horse pot of any engine with timing...

You need to start thinking BOAT and not automobile regarding HP tricks. Boat engines have a duty cycle more like a truck that is loaded going uphill all the time and not in first gear either. Detonation is THE enemy, so is lugging. Boat engines fuel curves are fat and timing is modest for very good reason.

Just trying to help...marine stuff is different.

jwalsh66

Cadet

here is the picture as promised. maclin, so in other words we are talking in a boat you look for lots of low end torque and not so much hp? if so i guess that makes sense seeing as that big heavy boat with all of that water resistance is trying to get up and on plane. if any of you could give me an idea of which drive line was in this boat just by looking at the hole for the drive it would be appreciated.IMG_20110819_140809.jpg

Don S

You had from a 270 to a 280 drive with that cutout.
I thought you said it had a transom shield and drive on it, or did you remove them.
Here is an overlay of how that cutout compares with the Merc cutout, which is the same as the SX.

Cutout comparison.jpg

jwalsh66

Cadet

IMG_20110819_140758.jpg i think this one should work better. if anyone can tell me just by looking at the transom what drive line was in this boat it would be much appreciated!! the hole is 18.25 high by 12.5 across in the middle and has 6 bolt holes spaced around the outside
thanks again
Josh

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You must have been posting when don gave you the info.

Is there any rot in that transom? Post a closeup pic of the wood in the cut out.

Maclin

Admiral

Jwalsh,

Tuning-wise, the top rpm is usually 4400-4600, any power mods that are aimed at above that are kind of a waste, especially if they are at the expense of losing torque below 2000rpm. 5000 RPMs is usually the max for most drives also, and the drive ratio is a major factor in how well the engine will move the boat. The hull has a max HP rating also.

A 17 footer with that SSV hull will scoot along pretty good with even the 4 cylinder Volvo. But, with your position of needing an entire donor drive+engine, you have some other options like a V6 even staying within the 270-280 drive family. An AQ175/280 comes to mind.

jwalsh66

Cadet

That is a great point and that v6 will be better on fuel than a v8 and should move that boat just fine. What kind of hoping do those v6 make? And what would we betalking for a fair price for that whole drive train? And I'm assuming there is enough room in the dog house for that? I'll post that picture of the wood on the transom as soon as my wife gives up on facebook for the night. The wood looks fine but i've got he pic so I might as well post it. Also what drive ratiodo I want to run for a v6?

Maclin

Admiral

Posting from the phone with the auto-complete again I see (Hoping=HP) :)

That V6 HP is 175 with a 2bbl. There may be a 4bbl version, not sure for those years/models. If you find a donor with drive and engine the ratio is probably ok. It would be 1.7 to 1.8 I would guess. 4 bangers typically have 1.9-2.0. Small V8's around 1.6, big blocks 1.5. None of those are exact but give the relative range for a given engine's power.

My guess is the doghouse area is ok, that the designers made it the same more by the boat than what engine would go under it. The motor mount area, or lack of, may be the problem more than room.

Pricing? No idea, sorry! That is part of the adventure....;)

captmello

Captain

There are many Bayliners for sale, in my area anyway, that have good running drivetrains, but "soft spots on the deck, etc $1500+/-, they can be cheaper depending on time of year, or location. 4 cyl volvo AQ125's mostly with 270 outdrives. it would bolt right on. Better make sure your hull is rot free before going through all the work. And be prepared to put another 500-1000 into any used drivetrain you may find for maintenance and tune up parts etc.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Is there any special way to check for rot? From what I can see everything looks fine but then again I'm new to the whole boat thing so any suggestions will help.

captmello

Captain

You should be able to poke a screwdriver at the wood where the transom has been cut out. most boats have exposed/painted plywood for the transom. Check the stringers by going through the ski locker and hitting the sides with a hammer. They should feel solid. drilling holes would be a further step into the inspection...

Go over and read some threads in the restoration forum. Lots more info on Rotten boats over there.

jwalsh66

Cadet

Using the method stated above I could not find any rot. Everything seems to be in good shape. Must have pulled the motor for a project. So the project will go on. Are there any major differences between the 270 and 280 drives you were talking about before? And also is That aq175 the biggest v6 volvo makes? I really want this boat to move! Or does volvo make a v8that will work with either one of those drives? Also do you know if it says on the boat somewhere what the max hp is for the hull is? Or is that something is have to find online?

captmello

Captain

No differences in the drives. They are both good.

aq175 seem a bit rare, but maybe they are more common where you live. you could put a v8 in that boat, as long as it fits...

You'll find V8 drivetrains in slightly larger boats, volvo used both outdrives for v8 setups, 280s were more common.

You could consider a 290 outdrive as well, as the hole is bigger yet, and those outdrives have power tilt.

jwalsh66

Cadet

is the 290 the only drive with power tilt? the boat i have has an acual tilt switch and the wiring for the hydraulic pump. is it possible that either the 270 or 280 have tilt?

Status
Not open for further replies.