1982 Evinrude XP 150 Missing and running bad

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If on muffs or in a barrel, don't run that sucker above a fast idle unless you have a test wheel. (Actually, not without a test wheel and a commercial tank.) WOT in the driveway is not a good idea, but maybe I read your post wrong.

Would guess there's an unresolved issue with seating the flywheel, and should probably pull it again to check. You may have trouble seating it if previously over tightened (or under tightened and slipping, indicated by the sheared key). At a minimum, check earlier posts about lapping the shaft and use of an oem key.

Last edited:

Jackfrost913

Cadet
Still no luck. Removed fly wheel, stator and timer base. Ohm checked both timer and stator per service manual. Both tested on. Inspected all wire coming from stator and timer. Was guessing if the starboard side shuts off at wot then maybe a wire was grounding itself out at advance timing. Nope. All wires are good and in tact. Still haven't a clue why the starboard side loses power and no spark at wot.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Swap your powerpacks around and retry.
Also it might not be a wire grounding, it may be an internally corroded wire in the line thats breaking connection as the timer base swivels. Test for continuity in all wires when you have throttle at wot with engine off

Jackfrost913

Cadet
Welp guys. It's been a long long time coming but all problems fixed. Sorry for the delay but decided to throw in the towel and take it to a mechanic. Figured I'd fill you all in on what the problem was with the starboard side shutting down during acceleration. Apparently the port side power pack was bad as well as the kill switch wire around the splice to go from port to starboard. As I would accelerate the port power pack would short out the kill wire going to the starboard side causing it to shut down the top 2 cylinders. So he replaced power pack and replaced kill wires and all is good. Motor runs great. Strong as crap. I just want to say thank for all the help and sorry I hadn't got back in on this in a while.