1981 Starcraft SS Restoration Project

pstar18

Cadet
After much searching I finally found something I could sink my teeth into without biting off more than I can chew. :D

I found a 1981 SC SS center console, not sure if that's original, have not seen too many.

Hull is immaculate! It has seen some salt I think down in Baja, Mex, so likely intense salt!

I am tearing out the floor and everything is looking good so far, except for the transom. I haven't been able to find any evidence of pitting anywhere in the hull or floor, but its looking like the transom plywood has been soaked with salt water since the aluminun on the outside of the stern is starting to pit and has several cracks and holes.

I'll post some picks soon, but does anyone know if I redo the transom plywood can I get away with just putting a 3/16" or 1/8" ply of aluminum sheeting over the original stern aluminum? It looks like a major job to replace the whole stern of the boat, thoughts?

Thanks,

RobDSCF7348 (Small).JPGDSCF7347 (Small).JPGDSCF7349 (Small).JPG

veilside180sx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1981 Starcraft SS Restoration Project

How bad is the pitting?

Looks like a converted SS, but it'd be easier to tell with better interior pics.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!!

Nice boat!! Yes, I too have used aluminum street signs for aluminum repairs and bracing. I have found that those 4 x 4 signs are about 1/8" thick and high quality aluminum. Visit your local municipal shop and you might be surprised what some wheeling and dealing will get you. Now sign theft will get you a big fine so bargain for one.

pstar18

Cadet

How bad is the pitting?

Looks like a converted SS, but it'd be easier to tell with better interior pics.

has two quater size holes that I can see the wooden transom and its wet and unprotected. One is starting to bubble out and a little spongy about the size of small plate, the usually transducer and drain holes are fine. The inboard side around the splash well has been slopped over with fiberglass so I can't see the actual transom itself behing it to assess yet

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice looking rig, I agree it looks like an SS with a console added. Many options as far as layout on the deck. You could go back with dual consoles if that's what you want.

Best to get the old wood out and replace with epoxy sealed plywood. The aluminum skin needs the extra strength of the wood. Not sure if you could go with an all-aluminum transom or not, I'm sure it's possible.

Welcome to the site, plenty of Starcraft projects going on around here to check out.:)

pstar18

Cadet

Nice hull. Nice motor too, I've got the same one! I agree that looks like a converted SS. We did have another member with a corroded transom reinforce his with aluminum from the inside. Used a sign. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362569&page=5

yep, that's pretty much what my transom looks like, I like the idea, but is it better to put replacement on inside? I was thinking outside might be better??

I'll be sending you a note when I replace the thermostats! I've read up on the site: patience, cussing and lots of beer, sounds just like fishing to me!

I am also considering replacing the floor with alumin sheeting 3/16 to 1/4', pricey I know, but long term seems like a better option. One concern is if it supplies enough support for the hull, the wood in there now seems tight and rigid

pstar18

Cadet

got home too late to take any transom pics, and having some login difficulty, here are some interior bow pics to try and id the type of ss I don't think I'll go back to the two console design. love the center console, visions of a t-tower!IMG_0259 (Small).JPGIMG_0256 (Small).JPGIMG_0255 (Small).JPGIMG_0260 (Small).JPGIMG_0254 (Small).JPG

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This is going to be a fun project pstar! Welcome to the site man!

pstar18

Cadet

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I'll get back out there this week, she got a little tipsy ripping the floor out while on boat stands, had a new tongue and actuator put on the trailer last week, so did the pull the boat of the trailer ala tree and chain method. Ordered new backing plates and brake line as well as new rollers, so want to get it back on the trailer for the serious tear down!

pstar18

Cadet

Had to take her out for a spin before I started ripping out anymore floor boards. She flies! Had to go to the foothills to get out of the fog belt, I was a little worried running it at elevation (4,000 ft) without adjusting the carbs, have to learn how to do that eventually. Ran great though, minus some starting trouble, which I don't have at sea level. Think I topped out at 30-35 mph at 5,000 rpm. Its true, that 90 hp evinrude V4 is a gas hog, 4 gallons in 45 min!

pstar18

Cadet

Been working on it and not posting enough, re-riveted the stringers, replaced the transom z-track mount, and cut out all the bad galvanic corrosion and cut a new aluminum transom plate to go over the old one. Vacuum sealed a new wooden transom with west epoxy systmen and 3/4 marine ply, overdrilled all the mounting holes and filled with epoxy and ran 1.5 inch fiberglass cloth around the entire edge to get a more watertight seal.

Attachments

• April 007 (Small).jpg
    April 007 (Small).jpg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • April 003 (Small).jpg
    April 003 (Small).jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
  • April 002 (Small).jpg
    April 002 (Small).jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • April 008 (Small).jpg
    April 008 (Small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 0
  • April 001 (Small).jpg
    April 001 (Small).jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0

sprintst

Commander

Nice start. You really got right after it and vacuum sealing the epoxied transom is a nice touch as well. You're going to have a slick setup when you're done.