1981 70 hp Johnson runs good...compression 120-120-95

jpw1488

Cadet
1981 Johnson 70 hp in good condition
500 hours (? 4th owner)
Saltwater use, but well cared for.

Blown head gasket last year on bottom cylinder with saltwater intrusion. I replaced the head gasket. Compression numbers of 120-120-105 afterwards. Ran it some since then and compression has dropped to the 90-95 range in the bottom cylinder. Still runs good. Starts and idles okay.

I just ordered a new boat because the hull is cracked on my old rig. I’m using this old motor to power the new boat. In the meantime I’m getting it tuned up. I like tinkering with these old OMCs, and I don’t mind spending money on it to keep it running.

I pulled the head again and inspected the cylinder walls. There’s some very light scoring in all cylinders, but nothing catastrophic. No metal shavings. The top cylinder head and piston has some dings from a past event. Bottom piston is slightly more loose side to side than the other pistons. I couldn’t tell much about the rings from that view. Edges of the ports seemed fine and the engine turns smooth and free when rotating flywheel. There is a place on the cylinder head at the sight of the bottom blown gasket that looks a little suspicious - slightly low and pitted. Other than that every looks decent.

Is that compression difference worrisome and is it okay to slap it on the new boat and go? Or should I tear it down and and completely overhaul it? Considering replacing the cyl head and seeing if that helps. I did a Seafoam decarb with multiple rounds and it’s still smoking so may also need more decarb. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,
JW

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Did you retorque the head after running (ff. gasket replacement)? Also, the head may be warped a bit and could do with some resurfacing (sandpaper on a flat surface). Not a lot of money involved.

jpw1488

Cadet
Yeah I checked the head bolt torque a couple times and they haven’t loosened at all. Head seems flat. Checked it on a flat piece of granite and freshened the surface with sandpaper figure 8s.

Here’s a picture of the bottom cylinder head. Does that look significant?

Attachments

• photo310763.jpg
    photo310763.jpg
    838.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jpw1488

Cadet
Any suggestions on where to find one in good shape? eBay has some ugly ones and ones for earlier or later 3 cyl.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Depend a lot on your location.-----Have lots of good ones here in an out of the way location.------Contact----evinrudeparts.ca----If you like.

jpw1488

Cadet
Found a cylinder head close to home. I’ll update when I get it installed. Is that damaged head enough to explain the drop in compression?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Maybe. You could fill the crack with some JBweld, let it cure, reinstall, hopefully the head gasket can be reused, and recheck the compression

jpw1488

Cadet
Interesting. I may try that. I read somewhere that someone had used Marine Tex to fill and then wax paper to prevent sticking and reinstalled the head until cured. Removed the head and wax paper and then replaced the gasket. I have some JB heat resistant and some Marine Tex on hand.

jpw1488

Cadet
I looked at the rings with a cheap endoscope where possible, especially on the exhaust side where the gasket blew and nothing was obviously cracked or missing.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I wasn't saying run the engine with a JBed head, You were wondering if that crack was causing the loss of Compression. I suggested that, to plug the crack, then retest the compression.

Did you try pressing the rings in with a Blade Screwdriver, to see if they had spring tension?

jpw1488

Cadet
Gotcha. I didn’t try to push on the rings, didn’t want to booger anything up. Pretty easy to do?

jpw1488

Cadet
Update:
Replaced cylinder head, head gasket, tsat and gasket. Compression was unchanged. Did a decarb with power tune and got lots of white smoke and gunk out of the exhaust. Compression came up to 100 in the bottom cylinder. Going to repeat. Still runs pretty good and fires right up. Also I think my Tstat has been stuck open because the motor is running noticeably warmer now.

Run as is or rebuild now?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Change the impeller if you haven't done that yet. Run it, making sure it runs at temp. Retorque the head cover again. Run some more....