1981 7.5 merc surging idle

BCTOCUBA

Recruit
Runs nice and smooth at idle then rpms will surge up then come back down eventually still at idle, Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

pointblank1000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Minimum info but....95% of the problems I see on motors is dirty dirty dirty or worn rubber components. Clean the carb. Replace the diaphgrams etc.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Could be so many different things. Two strokes are basically one big semi-controlled air leak. If you have any extra air leaks like worn our crank seals, leaking crankcase halves, leaking fuel pump diaphragm, leaky seals at carb, etc you will have problems. Then add to that any fuel delivery problems and we haven't even talked about the ignition advance mechanism. I usually start with the fuel system first, make sure everything is clean, new fuel lines and filter, carb correctly adjusted as per service manual.

tpenfield

Staff member
The surge could be the fuel mixture leaning out briefly due to contaminants in the fuel system/carburetor. I would do a rebuild/cleaning of the carb, make sure you have good fuel lines and an in-line fuel filter.