1981 31' Silverton Convertable

Duke_

Cadet
Hey Everyone, First post here, im from Canada, and picked this gem up mid season, with the intent of bringing back some of its former beauty over the rest of this summer and winter and hope to get a great season out of her next year. I think i did really well with this one, it had the most extensive survey done on it i've ever seen, a "like new" camper top that looks great now that i've gotten it on her. and everything checked out great, all the AC electrical has been updated to todays standards and some other upgrades have been done, it was a 50 mile voyage home with her out 5-10 miles in our lake. Shes sporting twin 5.7L 220 crusaders and v drives both motors and drives checked out good to go. planning to get some more pictures up here soon, first thing im going at is the exterior of the boat, shes fairly oxidized but i think with some elbow grease i can get it to come up nice.

Attachments

• $T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugOmBBQEFF-rip!~~48_20.jpg
    $T2eC16R,!)EE9s2ugOmBBQEFF-rip!~~48_20.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0

Duke_

Cadet
Re: 1981 31' Silverton Convertable

a few more pictures of her in the water, and of our trip home.

1a.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

4Winns2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pretty boat. I'd like to have something that size someday.

Duke_

Cadet

Pretty boat. I'd like to have something that size someday.

Thank you, this was quite a jump up in size for me, prior to this boat i've only had PWC's and 2 different sea doo boats. Parking her in a 10mph wind proved quite a challenge so i put her down the dock a bit by herself till i got the hang of it, my actual slip where i have her now is beside a 37' Baja and a 37' Sea Ray, so needless to say its was quite nerve racking moving it between those 2 boats.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome boat, I hope to have one that big someday. Nice job on getting a survey done to, alot of people overlook that and pay big time. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever upgrades you plan on doing.

OneBone

Cadet

Welcome aboard! Excellent spot for advice & serious know-how, not from myself, mind you.

So, what's on the agenda for your new project?

Duke_

Cadet

Awesome boat, I hope to have one that big someday. Nice job on getting a survey done to, alot of people overlook that and pay big time. I'm looking forward to seeing whatever upgrades you plan on doing.

Thanks, i've been following your thread for the last week or so, getting tips and pointers from alot of threads on these forums, this place is great. Im planning to get the gel back up to a like new condition and do some updating to modernize it somewhat, this seasons rapping up sooner than later so im mostly concerned with enjoying it for the time being. ill be updating this thread soon with some good pictures of the whole vessel and we'll be moving along from there.

RustyShackleford

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a nice looking boat, and looks like PO took damn good care of her. I hope I am lucky enough to find a gem like that when I start looking for a boat like that!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Beautiful boat, Congratulations!

I am on board to watch for your upgrades, additions and updates...

I would like to ask a question regarding the marine survey that was done...

We hear a lot here on the forum about making sure that the future owner of a boat get one done, and it makes perfect sense, but my question is...

"What kind of guarantee or warranty or assurances does one get by having the survey done?

For example, if the surveyor says the entire structure of the hull is sound, meaning no rot or damage, what recourse would one have if say within a specified period of time, something major were found?

I also understand that different places and different circumstances can change the answer, but I am just looking for a frame of reference.

Thank you and Have fun with your new Silverton.
Regards,
GT1M

Duke_

Cadet

i've seen a few surveys over the last few months on my hunt for a new boat, Some you can tell right away that they are backyard incomplete surveys or possibly only done if the insurance company asks for them, with this boat the survey was over 50 pages long, includes photos of everything and is very detailed with everything, The Surveyor is a "Member of Society of Accredited Marine Surveyors" so i would look for that for starters, on page 3 the title is "Scope of Survey" closer to the bottom of the page it says "This survey report represents the condition of the vessel on the above dates, and is the unbiased opinion of the undersigned, but it is not to be considered and inventory or warranty either specified or implied. One has to be aware that due to the extrememly harsh conditions marine equiptment is expected to operate in, that just because a peice of equipment operated OK yesterday, does not mean it that it will today, Therefore a prudent captain will check all systems for proper operation before leaving the dock" So theres no warranty implied at all, which i was ok with, the PO was a very honest guy and disclosed everything he could possibly think of about the boat with me so the biggest concern for me was the condition of the structure, which without that being moisture tested even a seasoned boater might not be able to tell.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thank you very much, I appreciate the information. It helps to clear up quite a few questions.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Good looking classic silverton! I will keep my eye on this thread!

Duke_

Cadet

Good looking classic silverton! I will keep my eye on this thread!

i can only hope it comes out nearly as clean as your boat, that thing is goregous, i initally found iboats through your thread searching google, it took a few hours to read it from the start but well worth it, you my friend have done an amazing job with your Silverton!!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the kudos but she's far from done! I look forward to seeing you go through yours. Take lots of photos.