1980 V150, #2 cyl not firing. Water leak into cyl?

BF

Lieutenant
Hiya,

1980 V150 serial # 56780xx that stays at the lake is down on power all across power band and seems to have a rougher than normal idle. The power loss seemed to be intermittent at first, but it's consistently down on power now. It's always been a smokey motor (premix) but might be a bit more of grayish/whitish smoke than the typical bluish 2 stoke fog. My BIL did some preliminary troubleshooting (I wasn't there). Spark is there and appears to be good on all cyl, but the plug on cylinder 2 (top on port side) is too clean (looks brand new, no soot or oil). Compression is OK and even across the board. He thought could be fuel issue (plug not oily), but I think probably not. If top carb got clogged and #2 was dry, I figure rings/piston would be toast so compression would be bad. It's been run a fair amount despite being down on power. And, the other top plug that shares that carb looks fine. I suspect (?) that there is water intrusion into #2 which is causing it not to fire and steam cleaning the plug.

So, what's the most likely way water would get into that cylinder? I figure likely not the head gasket since the compression reading is OK. What about from the exhaust side? I have a 6 hp OMC that had that happen... leak from gasket on exhaust water jacket extinguishing the fire on 1 cyl..... it's compression tested OK too... Does the V6 have a similar arrangement? The tell tale steam also seems to be weak/intermittent, maybe weaker than "normal" but it's hard to read too much into that because it sort of always has been a weak stream even right after water pump change...

Or, anyone have any other suggestions/ideas of what could be going on? I'm heading there in couple days and hope to continue the job.

Thanks for your input...

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 1980 V150, #2 cyl not firing. Water leak into cyl?

bump