1980 OMC 185 with 765HRS

trdexpert

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
35
I have a 1980 OMC 185 that was given to me from by my uncle. I took it out to the lake and ran good. Just had Idleling problems.

Sat for 5yrs..

Is 765hrs a lot on a Engine?
What can I do as Prventive Maintanance?

I will change the impeller this weekend..

Thanks!!!
 

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jul 6, 2008
Messages
104
Re: 1980 OMC 185 with 765HRS

I think most will agree that 750+ hours is a fair ammount but certainly with good maintenance you can enjoy many more on the water.

Since you already had it out after 5 year in storage you probably did this already, but heres what i would do first.

ENGINE
-Replace ignition, points, wires, spark plugs
-replace oil and oil filters
-replace all fuel filters
-replace all belts
-make sure all hoses are on tight and not cracked

DRIVE (I would pull it and inspect/replace the following)
-bellows
-gimbal bearing, replace or lube if still good
-u-joints replace or lube if appear good
-replace water pump impeller
-replace gear lube, watch for metal shavings in the oil when you drain

if all is good give her a good waxing and enjoy the rest of the summer!
 

KRH1326

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Sep 22, 2007
Messages
491

trdexpert

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
35
Re: 1980 OMC 185 with 765HRS

I think most will agree that 750+ hours is a fair ammount but certainly with good maintenance you can enjoy many more on the water.

Since you already had it out after 5 year in storage you probably did this already, but heres what i would do first.

ENGINE
-Replace ignition, points, wires, spark plugs
-replace oil and oil filters
-replace all fuel filters
-replace all belts
-make sure all hoses are on tight and not cracked

DRIVE (I would pull it and inspect/replace the following)
-bellows
-gimbal bearing, replace or lube if still good
-u-joints replace or lube if appear good
-replace water pump impeller
-replace gear lube, watch for metal shavings in the oil when you drain

if all is good give her a good waxing and enjoy the rest of the summer!


The engine part has been done, just need a carburator adjustment..

What type of "GEAR OIL" should I use?

Impeller will be done hopefully this weekend, if I have time. If not next week for sure!
 

HighLineCBR

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jul 6, 2008
Messages
104
Re: 1980 OMC 185 with 765HRS

I use Mercruiser high performance gear lube. works very well
 
Top