1980 Mercruiser 470, 3.7L Engine alignment

I pulled the out drive to replace all the seals, O rings, bellows and gimble bearing. I will next pull the engine to rebuild it. My questions is can I use the drive shaft, which is currently out of the upper drive to properly align the engine, or I have to spent the $80.00 on an alignment tool.

Thanks

Re: 1980 Mercruiser 470, 3.7L Engine alignment

I did that same feat as an experiment while waiting for my alignment tool to arrive. Got the gimbal set with the yoke perfect, and double checked it with the alignment tool. It wasn't even close.

The tool has a tighter clearance in the coupler than the yoke and is much more accurate.

Check ebay:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...iser+alignment+tool&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Thanks Eric,

Sure seems like it would work, but you can't argue with experience.
ebay prices are very reasonable for the tool.

Thanks again.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I also have a 1980 Mercruiser 470 that engine problems. I dropped a thrust bearing bolt into the oil pan, and had a partial seizure. I removed the engine and had machine work done--crank turned and valves ground. Unfortunately, I never got around to putting the motor back together--as I had other boats to use.

I found out this engine originally had been painstakenly assembled--and had different size bearings on the crank--all Ford big block bearings. The head's off a Ford 460 engine. Electrics are GM, as is the carb. About the only thing that's Mercury is the aluminum block and the intake and exhaust manifold.

Are you sure you need an engine rebuild? I/O's seldom need rebuilding due to the minimal "mileage" the engines ever receive. Most engine problems are due to freezing problems, and a 470 is one of the few I/O's with a closed cooling system--not applicable. I do have a full engine gasket kit a reconditioned head and other parts for sale.

If I was going to re-engine a 470, I'd seriously look to EBayMotors.com for a used engine--going for between $900 and $1200.

Pulling the engine is a very easy job. Don't even think about reinstalling the engine without an alignment tool, as you'll burn up the coupler.

The hardest part of your job is installing all new bellows'. You've got to use Mercruiser's bellows cement--a foul, greasy sealant. When you think you've got the clamps sealing the bellows, it'll pop off. I've found this job best handled by the professionals that do them all the time. Unless it's sealed right, water will get in and do damage. It's just not worth the risk and frustration.

Thanks,

I will have the bellows professionaly done.

And you got me thinking about the engine rebuild. I've started a new thread about the issue. Please take a look if you get a chance...
Thanks for the info.