1980 ChrisCraft 170SS freshwater pump

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
I have a 1980 ChrisCraft 170SS with a Mercruiser MCM228 Inboard engine. I would like to rebuild the freshwater pump, but the problem is, the drawings show a pump with inlets on the back, whereas my pump has inlets/outlets on the top and bottom. Any idea what model pump this is?

Attachments

• IMG_6543.jpg
    IMG_6543.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6590.jpg
    IMG_6590.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6591.jpg
    IMG_6591.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6592.jpg
    IMG_6592.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cant help you with which pump specifically. there will have been many over the years on inboards.

Posting your serial number will help

additionally, the burnt paint on the manifolds means you do not have any cooling water flow. you should also look at your exhaust flappers as those will have burned up.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Looks like a pump Chriscraft put on there,....
Pull it off, 'n if yer lucky, a name/ model might be cast into the housing,.....

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Agree w/Kenny. Most likely a Sherwood pump, hopefully there's info in the casting to be sure

Thats an interesting setup. I've worked on a lot of crissys over the years ranging from 1950's vintage to present day. Never seen one from 1980 with a non merc oem sea water pump let alone painted red. Merc motors have been black for at least the early-mid 70's

Chris craft over the years has gone from taking mainly GM blocks and marinizing them in house as a chris craft brand marine engine to installing straight merc/volvo packages w/no alterations.

I'm wondering if this engine has some merc components and some in house chris craft components or someone put this together as a one off/custom.

Either way chris craft did use sherwood sea water pumps for many years so as said earlier, best bet is sherwood. If you can't source anything online check with a local marine repair shop, not a dealership. Repair shop will point you in the right direction, dealership staff will stare at you like deer in headlights

dubs283

Vice Admiral
FYI looking again at the pics I'm hoping that isn't an automotive ignition system

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Not pretty. Looks like they tried to seal with JB weld. May explain the overheating.

Attachments

• IMG_6594.jpeg
    IMG_6594.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6595.jpeg
    IMG_6595.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Is there a marine version of HEI?

Yes. Delco EST/HEI. Commonly found on many oem mercruiser, volvo and crusader GM based engines however the coil is always divorced from the distributor. The ignition module is mounted on the distributor plate under the reluctor wheel/sensor assy

The coil on the distributor cap is a red flag for automotive ignition.

I have seen only one coil on cap ignition that said simply "marine". I have no clue where it came from or if it indeed was marine rated. Never investigated it as the owner did not want to change it to a known marine rated system. Owner also mentioned it was installed by an automotive repair shop that also "specialized" in marine engine reapir

The sea water pump may be leaking from the shaft seals, they look roasted. The pump itself may be salvageable if you can clean it up and find replacement seals for the shaft.

Was there an o ring present between the housing and cover plate?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Yes. Delco EST/HEI. Commonly found on many oem mercruiser, volvo and crusader GM based engines however the coil is always divorced from the distributor. The ignition module is mounted on the distributor plate under the reluctor wheel/sensor assy

The coil on the distributor cap is a red flag for automotive ignition.

I have seen only one coil on cap ignition that said simply "marine". I have no clue where it came from or if it indeed was marine rated. Never investigated it as the owner did not want to change it to a known marine rated system. Owner also mentioned it was installed by an automotive repair shop that also "specialized" in marine engine reapir

The sea water pump may be leaking from the shaft seals, they look roasted. The pump itself may be salvageable if you can clean it up and find replacement seals for the shaft.

Was there an o ring present between the housing and cover plate?
Thanks for the tip on the distributor.

The o ring was damaged. I am going to clean it all up and see if it is salvageable.

1980chris-craft

Recruit
I know the correct part number if you haven’t found it already. I’ll look it up in the morning and let you know. Do you have more photos of your boat? I’ve got a 1980 170ss also and in full restoration as I type could be helpful to my rebuild if you could share some photos of inside and out of your boat.

1980chris-craft

Recruit
You mean the HEI ignition? Is there a marine version of HEI?
Yes there is a Marine Version of HEI, made by Davis Unified Ignition or D.U.I . I spoke with a guy who works there, could be the owner, although it isnt certified "marine" it is built to marine standards, he just didnt want to spend the exorbent amount of $$$ it takes to get them certified.