1980 9.9 hp outboard

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello all,
I just purchased a sea nymph with a 9.9 hp outboard and i want to store the boat outside and want to put the outboard in garage to prevent theft although i don't have a motor stand yet, any ideas how to safely stand it up/store it?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: 1980 9.9 hp outboard

Is your garage drywalled? If not, cheap and dirty- hammer a piece of 2 x 4 into the 2studs and hang it from there, then make a stand, I have 3 in my garage setup that way.

exnavyman123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's funny you said that, i went to look in my shed (large shed) for something to make a make shift stand and first saw the beams making up the loft area above and thought that was perfect although i couldn't carry the motor up the ladder and put it up there, then i noticed the walls of the shed are made up of 2x4's obviously and the previous owner put 2x4's horizontally across the wall 2x4's to hang the rakes, etc. I reinforced them using long deck screws drilling small holes first as to not split the wood and the motor just fits between the motor mount bracket and the outside wall of the shed.

I did lay the motor on its side in the grass for a few minutes to reinforce the studs, will that hurt it? Also i'm not sure what gas mix ratio i should use, i am going to be buying a owners/service manual soon, on my other boat the oil is injected, so i never used mixed for outboards before... Thanks for the above help ....

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I can't find it now but somewhere like in sticky or tips I seen a fellow designed a motor stand with 2X for about $20. A common 2 wheel dolly works for mine.