FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
The intake ports on the 85HP are 5/8"; the ports on the 115 are closer to 15/16". Generally, the 115 carbs will waste fuel unless you have the ports enlarged. It would also be better if you used the 115 cylinder heads.
I run a set of 74 135 carbs on my 79 85 hp engine-but I did port the block when it was down for overhaul and I added the intake filler blocks. I run the 135 carbs jetted as is. Stock heads. You should be ok running the 115 carbs. They might overfuel slightly on a stock block, but you should see some top end rpm gains. I'd follow ezeke's recommendation on the heads.