1980 25HP Evinrude Starting Problem

stevenmurray1987

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1980 25HP Evinrude rope start tiller.

I am having a problem getting it started after it has warmed up.

When I first put the boat in the water it fires right up, even with no choke. After I run it for 15 minutes or so, the engine is almost impossible to start back up. I have tried choking it and priming the ball, but that doesnt help. Also I leave my gas can cap in the middle position so it's vented.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appriciated. Thank you.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 1980 25HP Evinrude Starting Problem

I had the same problem once. Check for spark when it doesn't start right up again. I had a weak coil that wouldn't work until it cooled all the way down. Never did understand why it would work as long as it was running because it was heated up then.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1980 25HP Evinrude Starting Problem

I have a 1980 25HP Evinrude rope start tiller.

I am having a problem getting it started after it has warmed up.

When I first put the boat in the water it fires right up, even with no choke. After I run it for 15 minutes or so, the engine is almost impossible to start back up. I have tried choking it and priming the ball, but that doesnt help. Also I leave my gas can cap in the middle position so it's vented.

If anyone has any ideas they would be much appriciated. Thank you.

Fireman57 is on the right track. When bad coils get warm they tend to short themselves out for lack of a real technical term. Change out with a known good one. You will find out if it fixed it or not. Chances are that it will. Happy boating! Please post back and let us know.