1980 25'CC Mako questions

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am thinking about viewing/testing/buying an old 25' mako. Are there any things to know or problems that are common to look for in this brand boat? Transoms/floors/stringers made with quality? Certain common problems to inspect for besides the floor stomp/visual inspection/etc. I will post a pic of boat for viewing. any help/suggestions/past experience welcome. Baot is on trailer now.
P003394.JPG

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1980 25'CC Mako questions

Mako's have a better than average reputation here in South Florida. That is a good looking rig - at least from the photo.<br /><br />Just curious - what is the market value of that boat (age of motors??) where you are?

Capt Ken

Commander

Little trick to try if you do decide to go visit the boat. If the boat is out of the water, tilt the engines up and put some pressure downward on the lower units. Maybe bounce on them some and watch the transom. If its starting to get soft, you will notice some flex. Also tap around the transom with the butt of a plastic screwdriver. Pay close attention around the drain hole and the mounting holes of the engines. Being there is a kicker bracket on the boat, it use to have a single engine. How did they plug the holes of the old mounts? Check around them also. I also noticed in the picture you posted in the other thread that it had trim tabs. Usually a sign that it was slow to plane or sat heavy in the water when running.

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips...I will definitely check those. Does anyone know where I can get the specs on this hull. Draft/weight/deadrise/hp ratings/fuel tank capacity/etc. A link or as much infor as you have is greatly appreciated. 1980 CC25' mako

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ken-(and others)<br />short of filling/regelcoating professinally the old holes in the transom from the single, what is acceptable for repair when this was converted to a twin? Are there certain materials that are used frequently that are a big mistake in the long run? thanks for the info

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

So Little-<br />this one has twin 2000 130 yamahas(less than 35 hrs). The asking price is $22500.00 but lists that ALL offers considered due to owner illness. I figured I could get it for a good bit less. I think the guy just wants his money for the motors. As to where I live, its on the gulf coast of mississippi. I have decided to wait on this one... a little to old for my vice president of fishing operations (wife) ;) . Beaux

mattttt25

Commander

like the boat. some info:<br /><br />MAKO MARINE INC 1980 <br /><br /> Length: 25' <br /> Model Name/Description: MAKO 25 <br /> Boat Type: Outboard Boats <br /> Hull Material: Fiberglass <br /> Beam: 8' <br /> Engine: <br /> Net Weight: 2,700

Captn Dave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got me one too. A 1978. A very good solid boat. They don't make them like that anymore. Mako use to rate the hulls at 2700 lbs but I think they weigh more than that. They used a lot of glass back then. Because of the deep V running the length of the hull you definitely need trim tabs. I have a 225 hp Johnson on mine. It's a little sluggish. Wish I had twins. Maybe when I repower. Does this one have the extra forward tank? Good luck.

Salty Dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 79' and it's built like a battleship! It has the extra fuel tank too. :D

rbamat

Recruit

I have a 1984 Mako 254 with a 225 Yamaha. The boat is a great ride and quick. The one problem I have is the low transom and poor drainage. If I take waves over the transom, which is very low on the water, it will wash under the fold down transom door and on to the deck. This then fills the fish wells wich can only be drained on plane. Anybody have this problem and figure a way to resolve it. <br /><br />Am also thinking of repowering with a 225 Honda four stroke. Am a little concerned with the extra wieght.

DBLD

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,<br />I've had two Makos - both 1975s, but smaller than the one you're looking at. If you want info and specs on them, you can go to www.mako-boats.com. At that website, there is a link to guide you to older model specs and it will have info on weight, max HP rating, etc.