1979 Sure Cast side hull questions

lakefarer

Cadet
Hi all - new to the forum, new to boating, new New NEW!! (Sorry, I'm in advertising and get carried away sometimes).

So on my new old '79 Godspeed Sure Cast boat, the hull bulges out on the sides. The exterior bulges line up with where boxes were created in the interior. The boxes run from the front casting desk back to the seat risers. My thought is that during construction, these boxes were completely sealed and over the years, air expansion has caused the hull to flex out.

IMG_5901.2.png

IMG_5902.2.png

IMG_5912.2.png

1 – Does anyone here have a Sure Cast and does yours have that same bulge?
2 – Do you think expansion from heated air is an accurate assumption of what I’m seeing?
3 – Other than aesthetics, and provided there’s no leaks, does this bulge pose any unknown risks? I feel I know the answer here – this is just a question from the “you don’t know what you don’t know” camp.

Thanks, all

Jay

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... #1, Never heard of yer boat,....
#2, I think it was built that way,....
#3, I'd just run it, no problem,....

tpenfield

Staff member
Check the HIN on the starboard side of the transom.

GSD Boat Builder Search and Recall results:​

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is GSD. This MIC (GSD) stands for the company name Godspeed Boatworks which is currently In Business. This boat manufacturer code has other company names (GSD sometimes goes by these name(s) if applicable: , , Surecast Boats Inc - Oob, or Fiberstress Inc - Oob).

Looks like a Boston Whaler knock-off.

The bulges on the side could be from water infiltration and freezing.

IMO - more cosmetic than anything.

lakefarer

Cadet
Duly noted - thanks, and I agree on the mostly cosmetic. If only this were. How long does it take to dry a transom with 3 500w lights? We'll see!

IMG_5926.jpeg

tpenfield

Staff member
If you've got a wet transom, then probably water elsewhere in the hull, which would explain the bulging sides.

tpenfield

Staff member
Do you know if that is a foam-filled hull, like a Boston Whaler.? The older boats did have a wood transom, IIRC.

If so, you could do some 'test' holes - low on the inside of the hull to see if you get water.

lakefarer

Cadet
You know, I was just thinking the same. The sides are fiberglass, with the floor being carpet covering wood. I'd not yet gotten the nerve to rip up a corner .. but I think I should. Interestingly, the one similar boat I've run across currently for sale on the web, shows a picture of the floor, and where the hull is visible on the interior of the boat, it's a good inch or so lower than mine - leading me to believe that someone put a second piece of plywood down at some point. The previous owner said it was not a fast boat .. water logged plywood may be one reason.