1979 MerCruiser 260 starter problems

matthewuw

Cadet
Restoring a boat/engine. Here is where I am at and stuck...<br /><br />This is a MerCruiser 260 original engine in 1979 boat. V8.<br /><br />Engine was frozen, pulled plugs and poured diesel in cylinders and let sit. Then took off the pulley on the front of engine that connects crank shaft to water pump and alternator via belts. bolted a bracket/lever on instead and broke the engine loose. turned it by hand several times until it got easy to do with 1 bare hand.<br /><br />Put the pulley/belts back on the front of the engine. Brought a new deep cycle fully charged battery over and put it in and took the 15 year old batteries out of the circuit. Crossed my fingers and turned the ignition. Nice big click from soleniod and the starter turns VERY slow and starts smoking if you hold it on more than a few seconds. <br /><br />So...it is certainly getting enough current (smoking). The engine can be turned by hand, so the starter shouldn't have trouble spinning it I would think. (Plugs still out of course).<br /><br />It is a pain in the you know what to get in next to the engine, let alone get under the rear end of it to pull the starter...but i am afraid that is where this is going.<br /><br />Is it possible the starter wants 24 volts? What else could it be other than a bad starter? Just trying to explore all easy options before I drop it.<br /><br />Any tips for the best way to pull it so that it isn't really hard to get back on?<br /><br />THANKS!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1979 MerCruiser 260 starter problems

Hi Matthew,<br /><br />Welcome to iBoats.<br /><br />Why did you use a deep cycle battery? You should have used a 'starting' battery, they can deliver much higher current, specifically for starting. <br /><br />If the starter was starting to smoke, it could be just burning off some of that old dirt. Did it get too hot to touch?<br /><br />Chris...........

Laddies

Banned

Matt there is no easy way, before your done you will consider cutting a hole in the bottom of the boat I think we have all done that once or twice---Bob :( :confused: :mad: :) :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have a bad starter, and it sure sounds that way to me, then the only thing you can do is replace it.<br />I have also had to pull engines to get starters off, even to change spark plugs on a certain Campion boat that I truly hate to see come in.<br />I have often said that the engineers should have to change starters, alternators, belts, water pump impellers, and do tuneups before their drawing goes to production.<br /><br />What I want to see is the engine and outdrive mounted to a large drawer on full extension SS slides so all you have to do is remove some bolts and pull the engine and drive assembly out the back of the transom so you can work on it......... who knows, maybe someday :rolleyes:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I know the setup , but not the boat. The starter isn't real hard, if you can get at it.[Two bolts]. I would pull the exaust manifold and riser in one piece to get better access.I definetly would replace the starter though, no such thing as a push-start on water! Take it to a good rebuild place, and it shouldn't be too expensive. Don't waste your time on automotive grade, one spark in the wrong place will blow you right,out of the water! Lat me know if the manifold removal helps for your situation.J

matthewuw

Cadet

Thanks for the replies. The manifolds aren't in the way much. It is in the back of a 27' bayliner (yum) victoria. engine compartment is below rear cockpit floot.<br /><br />i can stand on either side of the engine with my feet in the bilge, but don't have enough room to turn around, let alone lay down on my side. i have been working with a wrench in one hand and mirror in the other so far. not worried about pulling the starter off as much as getting it back on.<br /><br />to answer achris about the smoke, it smelled like burning up motor, not burning up dirt! : )<br /><br />the battery setup in the boat best that I can tell (electrical system is a mess) is the following: in the engine compartment there are 2 12v marine/rv deepcycle batteries in parallel and then on the other side a 6d which I don't want to spend the money to replace...but 15 years... oh well. i presume that is the house battery. there is also another deepcycle (i think, haven't looked at it) up under the v berth.<br /><br />It is a nice boat for the money (free) with rot only in unimportant easy to fix places and all the flybridge and apolstrey (sp?) are in great shape. but being a college student with limited means, i am trying to do everything on the cheap. i have been tempted by many project boats over the last couple years and this one is the best by far. the engine turns...so it WILL run, I just have to get it past where I am at now and put the fresh water cooling system back together.<br /><br />Anyway, okay, so the slow turning starter really indicates that it is bad, not that it is getting 12 volts when it wants 24 or there is a big load on it?<br /><br />I ruled out the load thing because I could turn the engine by hand with the water pump and alternator belts detached. I am pretty sure it is 12volts since the old batteries were wired in parallel when I first got in there.<br /><br />So I guess a "quick fix" wouldn't be a good idea anyway and I should pull the starter and bench test it than look for a rebuilt one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My starter is about a 5 minute job to remove. I own an even older Victoria. 1977<br /><br />
SeaJay.png

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is that the starter that has the bolts directly opposite of each other, or are they offset like the late 80's ones ?

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

On your application they should be straight across from each other but they could be staggered if someone has mixed componants.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Matthew, If your starter has the mounting bolts directly opposite of each other, see if you can find any numbers on it and post them here. The other guys may be able to help figure this all out, but I have a good working Merc marine starter that I have been "tripping over" for a while....I know it is for an older merc V-8, and if it will fit your engine I will be happy to send it to you free of charge if you send a ups "call tag" .

matthewuw

Cadet

Don, yeah my "hole in the water" looks VERY much like that.<br /><br />Haven't gotten my head down under the starter enough to answer the questions on the bolts.<br /><br />waterone: really appreciate the offer. i am stuck in class ALL DAY tomorrow but will take a stab at getting a good look at it and pulling it off thursday. main thing that was keeping me from doing that was fear of not being able to get it back on.<br /><br />talk to you guys thursday and thanks again for the help!

olbuddyjack

Petty Officer 1st Class

One way of getting to the starter thats worked for me is to stand on the opposite side of the motor, lay across the top and reach down under to the starter. Make sure you protect the carb so you dont damage anything(on you or the motor). Your young and flexable,you can do it.

outboardguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe Mercruiser has been installing "Peanut starters,Gear reduction" in most of the new product.It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pull your find out the pattern and pinion size.Then give the guy at your local marine shop a beer for a peanut core and rebuild that.It will be alot easier putting the smaller starter back rather than that big clunky thing.Besides the fact that they seem to weigh ten pounds less especially when you are hanging upside down trying to get the bolts started.

matthewuw

Cadet

Okay, it is thursday and I haven't done it yet. It poured most of the day and I got a canopy setup over the rear cockpit so i can work out of the rain...that is it for the moment. will try again tomorrow...i will conquer this thing eventually but am new to IOs.<br /><br />-soggy in seattle

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

We're rooting for you....by the way,most of us "older guys" still have to climb into engine compartments with twin big blocks and a genset to R&R parts in places we can't see. Kind of hard to have too much pitty for a college student working on a single inboard....LOL.

matthewuw

Cadet

well haven't gotten too much done. yeah i am a wuss i guess. got the easy bolt out and good luck at the starter...no number obvious. having trouble getting a socket on the bolt between the starter and oil pan. even had a socket disappear off my extension up there. had a friend come into town and haven't touched the boat in a few days. no hurry really i guess. maybe this weekend.<br /><br />appreciate the support fellas. will check back in when i get it off.

matthewuw

Cadet

Okay guys, I put up pictures. The numbers are hard to read and I am not sure I have them correct so I will just let you take a look at the pictures to get an idea.<br /><br /> http://musicengine.net/starter/

matthewuw

Cadet

The bolts are directly opposite each other, but one bolt is longer than the other which makes it much easier to take out the inboard bolt.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..........<br /><br />I'd say that you need a New Starter.............<br /><br />I think I'd do like outboardguy says,+ Drop In a Mini-Starter.......<br /><br />NAPA 18-5900 is the direct replacement starter # for Yours..... I don't have a # for the Minis....<br /><br />Good Luck.......

weatherz

Seaman

Matt, a trick that I use to install the starter is to take a belt and buckle it around the rear of the starter and have a buddy hold it up while you get the bolts started. Hope that helps.