1979 Mariner 80 hp Trigger & Stator Wires

NE_Ohio_Boater

Recruit
I haven't taken my off my stator and trigger yet but the wires coming from them going to the switchbox are very brittle. Can these wires be replaced or am I looking at spending some $$$ on a new stator and trigger???

Thanks in advance for your help!

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1979 Mariner 80 hp Trigger & Stator Wires

Man I feel your pain. I went through the same thing. YES, you can splice onto the wiring.........IF you can cut it back far enough to get a good connection. Here is what I did, and it worked for me.

I purchased some good quality marine-grade wiring very close (in size) to the wiring on the trigger. I purchased it in WHITE. Then, I soldered the connections together, and I used a good quality heat shrink on the connections. Then, I actually colored the wiring with a Sharpie Magic Marker to keep things organized. Some people will say not to solder the connections, and some people will say not to bother trying to repair the wiring, but I can only say that it worked out good for me. Saved me some $$$$ for sure.

Yesterday

Petty Officer 1st Class

TD nailed it.. Solder + heat-shrink.

FWIW you can get multi-colored heat-shrink tubing kits for relatively little cost (~$20.00) , which I found helpful. Bought one from my local marine dealer.

NE_Ohio_Boater

Recruit

Thanks for your help. Good suggestions! I can't figure out why electrical parts are priced so high. About 15 years ago I needed a starter solenoid for this motor. The boat shop wanted close to $50 for one. I compared it to a spare solenoid I have for my 1985 Ford F150. They were exactly the same. The solenoid for my truck cost $15.00 and it worked perfect in my boat motor.....lol

Thanks Again!

Van