1979 Johnson 6hp carb questions!!!

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok it has spark on both cylinders and good compression it start 2 crank idles ruff and when I open up throttle it Boggs down like its flooding out when I kill the motor and pull the plugs and it's super black and wet ...let me note I just got it running been sitting up for over a year

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Very probably flooding due to the float valve not closing properly. It may be the needle or the float sticking or dirt on the needle or valve seat.

If that is the case it should briefly run smoothly if you disconnect the fuel, before it dies.

Probably worth doing a full carb clean.
Then see Joe Reeves' instructions on the Engine FAQs board ( There is a link from the "Top Secret" file ) for adjusting the carb needle.

When you dismantle the carb watch out for small spring clip linking the needle to the float arm.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In addition to that, make sure it has a good gasket on the main nozzle (in the carb bowl), make sure it has the correct orifice plug (fixed jet), and make sure somebody hasn't reamed it out with wires or drills.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll check that out when I get off work I know for a fact there's no gasket around the big speed jet in the middle of the bowl ...I took it apart for a half ass cleaning...lol I should have known better then that just rushing things I'll let Yall know how it goes

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok good news the gasket over the high speed jet was missing and I put it back on and it runs like a champ but I have another problem I have a brand new impeller and it's not pissing and I put plenty of water pumps together and I know I put it on right ....I blew out the pee hole and it's not stopped up so I took out thermostat and it was all crusted up so I took it out and it's still not pissing so idk what's going on I even put the Waterhose to it and started it to see if it was air locked for some reason and I'm so confused has anyone had this problem before?

AlTn

Commander
common problems...water inlet screen clogged...motor not submerged deep enough in test barrel.... water tube up to the powerhead is not inserted into grommet on the water pump housing...driveshaft pin to drive the impeller is dislodged or missing...blockage somewhere in the cooling circuit...I'd take the cover back off the thermostat housing to see if it's pumping water that far up the block, after making certain the motor is submerged deep enough and the intake screen is clear...it shouldn't take but a few seconds for water to get to that point...if water doesn't appear within say 15 seconds...it's time to drop the lower unit an investigate