1979 Johnson 6 hp water pump problem

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok good news the gasket over the high speed jet was missing and I put it back on and it runs like a champ but I have another problem I have a brand new impeller and it's not pissing and I put plenty of water pumps together and I know I put it on right ....I blew out the pee hole and it's not stopped up so I took out thermostat and it was all crusted up so I took it out and it's still not pissing so idk what's going on I even put the Waterhose to it and started it to see if it was air locked for some reason and I'm so confused has anyone had this problem before?

jrs_diesel

Chief Petty Officer
Possibility that the upper water tube grommet has dry rotted and swelled shut. If you still have the water plate off, run the motor and see how much water makes it up the the thermostat.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok took the lower unit off again and put it in a bucket of water and I put a drill on the drive shaft and turned it wide open and no water is coming out the top of the water pump so I'm not sure if it's a bad plate cause it was bent a lil and I straighten it out my self and I have a tare on the gasket it self but you think that's making a difference that tare and all holes and passages r open not clogged ...to me it's sucking air and does have enough pressure to pump water up tube to the motor

AlTn

Commander
was the water pump totally submerged in the bucket?...in other words, is the water level up 4 or more inches on the drive shaft while you are testing?

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I surmerge the water pump under water just not the tube the hooks to the brass water tube and it had water going out when I put the drill on it but if I rise it up to ware the housing is right out the water but the holes on the lower unit where it sucks the water at is under water and I look down where the tube connect it's dry no water is getting into the pump houseing

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Bent plates and torn gaskets lead to air leaks, if it sucks air it won't pump water.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
like above, no torn gasket. would be true with bent wear plate too, but pretty tough to bend one of those. With a gasket in your model, try some permatex gasket sealer (black stuff not the silicone RV stuff) with a good gasket. Are you sure the impeller pin is in place? without it the impeller won't turn with the shaft.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah there's 2 tares in gasket but I put it back on in the same spot to try and save it but I should know better to do things half ass Ima just go head and spend the money and buy a whole new water pump kit and hope that works and pray cause money is tight