1979 Evinrude 55hp choke/ starting issue

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1979 Evinrude 55hp choke/ starting issue

Raising the warm up lever and using the choke is the typical starting procedure. How does it idle once it's warm? How does it re-start after it's warm?

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

Once the warm up lever is dropped after starting, the engine dies. I have to do the same steps to start it again. It does not want to idle at a low rpm. Like I've said, it makes for some creative docking/ramming speed stops.<br /><br />The only way to get into gear is to quickly drop the warm up lever and advance the throttle at least halfway. After the boat is under load it runs ok, unless of course I need to drop into neutral to get to reverse, this is when she dies, right around neutral.

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot to ask if anyone knows the correct compression psi. I'm making lots of notes from work to take home.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still sounds like a fuel delivery issue. <br />Don't leave out the fuel pickup in the tank, primer bulb, fuel pump, or fuel filter. When you pump the primer bulb does it get hard? Does pumping the bulb have any effect on the idle speed?<br />In order to properly clean the carbs you must get into all of the small passages under the small metal plugs you see on the carb. Do a search on here and you will find some good info on cleaning/rebuilind carbs. Cleaning them properly is a little more involved than you may think.<br /><br />You probably don't have a tach but the idle speed shold be around 750-800 rpm with the engine in the water, or a large tub or garbage can full enough to cover the water intakes on the lower unit. Turn the screw in until it idles without the warm up lever raised. (after it is warm).<br />Copression: the exact number is not as important as the difference between cylinders. It should be within 10% for each cylinder, mine is 128 and 122 with one comp tester and 112 and 108 with another guage. If I had a third guage it would no doubt give me another set of readings! LOL!

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

Have a new tank and hose. When I pump the primer bulb it gets hard but not as hard (i think) as it should. I don't see any fuel leaking but I read that this might be related to the carb needle not seating? If so, where would the fuel be going? I don't see any leaks.

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

Forgot to mention, pumping the bulb does seem to help the idle a bit.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where the fuel would go depends on the angle of the motor. If you have the air intake covers off you will see it in the carb throats. <br />Pumping the bulb helping the idle a bit could indicate a weak fuel pump or still a restriction in the carbs. There is a screen under the cover for the fuel pump that you can check pretty easily, just make sure its clean.<br />A fuel pump kit is another inexpensive item which, believe it or not, some of the manuals suggest replacing annually!!

trackerdave

Seaman Apprentice

I've added 'check fuel pump screen' to my list. I might actually get pretty good with this engine before it's all said and done. I checked and and saw that the fuel pump assy was around $53. Good to know if it comes to that (I'm sure it hasn't been replaced in YEARS). After thinking about my symptoms, if compression was bad or spark was bad would the engine run decent at a high rpm? Would it even start?

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The correct amount of Compression and fuel along with spark at the proper time are the basics to any engine running properly. An engine will sometime start and run with low compression but can exhibit a range of symptoms one of which is not idling correctly. A motor can also start and run with spark issues, it just won't run properly. As stated by Rancherlee, in his case a weak coil exhibited the same symptoms as a dirty carb. Testing each component avoids having to throw parts, and money, at the problem till it goes away.

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trackerdave, any results/updates??