1979 century cortez model 270

hi looking to buy or find some more info on century boats can any one help......are they a good boat or??? the one i am looking at is a 1979 century cortez model 270 with a 260 mercruiser.very nice shape any opinions would be apprec. thank you

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: 1979 century cortez model 270

The Century boats were made well.Not great but surely good.The Cortez is a nice one.Is the boat tan and brown with a hatch on the deck??Many were that color combo.Charlie

crazy charlie yup that was the colour it has 2 hatches on the bow ......thanks for the reply....guess if century is still in buisness that must mean something. thanks again

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The 260 merc is a good motor to have in there.I think they changed the name of that model from Cortez to Meridian which was a more popular model.Good luck with the purchase!!!!!!Post if you have any more questions.The only concern I would have is docking the boat.That is about as large as I would go with a single drive.The bow tends to be light and any wind at all will turn you sideways.I have been there.You can partially correct this with a larger prop.You will lose top end but will plane fast and the drive will get a bigger bite and steer much better.Charlie

TooTired

Cadet

I have owned 5 boats in the past 10 years. I started out with a 14ft princecraft then went to a 16ft checkmate ski boat and after that went on to a 19' regal with cuddy. Then I made my biggest boat purchase and went to a 1988 24ft Baja 240sport with a 454 mercruiser...That was a beautiful, fast nicely built boat. But I had to get rid of it due to a newborn baby on the way. After my boy turned one I decided to get back into boating. I came to the conclusion we needed a nice family boat and came across a 1986 20ft Century with a cuddy in great shape for the right price, so i grabbed it up. With all that being said, I will have to say this is the best built boat I have had so far. The hull is extreamly strong and thick, there is very few stress cracks for a boat of its age. This hull is by far the best I have seen. Even better than my Baja...believe it or not. I would surely recommend a century to anyone. Unfortunately I have 2 footitis and will most likly be looking for a bigger boat after this season is over.

too tired wow sounds like me .went from a 17'panther 200 hp outboard to the century, it is a very well made boat solid for sure even in rough water.......at one time they had like carpet on the dash and it looks like hell i would like to remove this and the glue and just have a painted or gel coat surface and ideas on the finish that i can use?? I has a finish on the surface now but once i remove the glue who knows, any help would be apprec. thanks for the help.

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look for rot in that Century. I had a 21' 1979 and I gave it a way because of seperated stringers and rotted floor. Otherwise good handling boat with great gelcoat finish(no fading.)

Recruit

Good day to all. This is my first posting. I have a 1979 Cortez with two 260 motors. I have had the boat for about 8 years and love it.I am in the USCG AUX. here in Paradise MI. and live on Whitefish bay.We built a radar arch for it made from 2.5 inch aluminum.I know that will make some people cringe but up here it is necessary.The two communications antennas and GPS are on the top along with the red beacon.
The boat is red and white and we re-painted the red part 3 years ago.She looks like new and runs the same.I payed $10,000 for the boat and trailer.
Take care all, and have a great and safe summer.

Mike