1979 25 hp Evinrude knocking noise

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Permatex --" aviation aviation "----Is the exact same stuff.-------Pricing of stuff comes as a shock to many folks.-------In my area the pricing of hospital care / doctors / nurses is never discussed.-----All taken are off and the patient never sees an invoice.

spacemonkey77

Seaman
Great, thank you. I just ordered a can of it! Found a 4 oz for 12 bucks at Crowley marine!

Last edited:

spacemonkey77

Seaman
So I found a video from a few weeks ago and I can really hear the ticking noise in it more pronounced than my previous videos. Does this sound normal or abnormal to you? The thing is I don’t recall the noise before. It’s more noticeable than I remember!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Maybe you are hearing exhaust noise -- exhaust is just under the av plate. Trim it in a little more(?)

If convinced it's at the powerhead, you might see if there is sound insulation in the cover, or whether it's complete. You can purchase sound insulation and install it (similar to auto hood insulation).

I really don't pick up anything problematic, although that's with pretty old ears. ;)

spacemonkey77

Seaman
Ok thank you. Perhaps I’m just being overly concerned. It still has some insulation but it’s kind of falling out. I’ll see about replacing it

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Fact: Outboard engines with their roller bearings and loose fits are noisy. I don't hear anything unusual in yours.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think some of these early model did have a " knock " of some sort.-----Took one apart one time ( 35 years ago ), inspected everything.-----Everything looked / measured in spec.------Decided to install new pistons anyway.------Started it up and it still had that sound.----Lesson learned.