1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

sprintst

Commander
Re: 1979 22' Starcraft SuperSport V5 Restoration

I epoxy coated everything and had no problem stapling into it. My first impresssion was to leave the backside uncoated but it was no issue at all. Coat a test piece and give it a whirl.

fshngho

Lieutenant

DJ I like the idea of painting last. Like you said, you can do all the other things without worry of damaging the paint. What if you decided to needed to add a rivet, or do some work that you discovered during the interior work that would effect the hull? He may charge a bit more due to there would be more to tape up.
I do not know about your area, but a sheet of 48 x 120 x .060 metal here is around $80.00. One sheet will do my gunwales and front bow cover on my 18' with some left over.
Can the "body work" be done first, then you do interior, then paint?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

DJ I like the idea of painting last. Like you said, you can do all the other things without worry of damaging the paint. What if you decided to needed to add a rivet, or do some work that you discovered during the interior work that would effect the hull? He may charge a bit more due to there would be more to tape up.
I do not know about your area, but a sheet of 48 x 120 x .060 metal here is around $80.00. One sheet will do my gunwales and front bow cover on my 18' with some left over.
Can the "body work" be done first, then you do interior, then paint?

Yes, that was my thinking. (Sometimes what I type isn't what i'm thinking exactly) How about this....Fix all the rivets, gluvit, finish transom, water-test for leaks, new gunwall tops, gas tank, foam, floor, splashwell, I could even install consoles and front seat supports as they could be painted with the rest of the boat, hang the motor so it can go to paint as well. I don't think I missed anythin major.....

Fish, I believe you were the one to recomend new gunwall tops a while back. That $80 is a great price for that large sheet of aluminum. What grade is it? I was going to go with 6061-T6. My rear most piece needs to be 132" long inorder to keep one seam like original. My quote was $275 for 3 pieces, 42 x 60 bow, 32 x 102 gunwall middle , 22 x 132 gunwall back. I think they messed up on the middle piece quote because my weight calcualtion is half what they quoted, i'm waiting for an updated quote.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

So I assume from the above plan that they are hanging it to paint it as opposed to flipping it? If so, you may as well fo as much as you can before paint. Less chance to bang up the new paint. I certainly wouldn't hang the motor though.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

So I assume from the above plan that they are hanging it to paint it as opposed to flipping it? If so, you may as well fo as much as you can before paint. Less chance to bang up the new paint. I certainly wouldn't hang the motor though.

Yes, they are going to hang it. I was going to mount the motor as I think that would be the easiest way to get it to the painter. Once there, they would lift it off and put it on my stand, paint the boat and motor separately, then put the motor back on and come home.

As anxious as I am to get it painted, I think it wise to wait. Like you said, cause i don't need to flip it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

What's your motor-paintin' plan? Color?

fshngho

Lieutenant

DJ, I really don't know what grade aluminum sheet I have. My gunwales are 120" to the seam so it works perfect for me. It sure does sound like they are charging you a lot for the metal. Is it flat or are you getting any breaks or hems in it?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

What's your motor-paintin' plan? Color?

I believe I'll keep it looking stock. I still have to see if someone can make decals that look like the stock ones that are on it. I would consider painting it white and going with a newer set of decals....not sure yet, i think it will end up original looking.

DJ, I really don't know what grade aluminum sheet I have. My gunwales are 120" to the seam so it works perfect for me. It sure does sound like they are charging you a lot for the metal. Is it flat or are you getting any breaks or hems in it?

Yep....that's for flat sheet. The most expensive piece is the 32 x 102 piece 'cause they are getting me for the whole 48 x 120 sheet. I told them you better ship the drops as well since i'm paying for them. I just got off the phone with them, it will be here at work on Tuesday. I checked a few other sources for the sheet and was quoted well over $300, and I would have to go get it.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

http://cgi.ebay.com/Evinrude-Outboa...038?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5adaa950f6

These new style stars and stripes ones are badass http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EVIN...temZ150521078816QQptZLHQ5fDefaultDomainQ5f100 Dude has a link in his auction that says "we will do any decal". Might be worth contacting.

Yeah, I like those stars and stripes, but how would those look on my boxy cowl?

I really haven't checked on decals yet, I only know I can't get genuine Evinrude ones. My Cowl does have the plastic emblems on it which are in very good shape and I would like to reuse those. I don't like the thought of the "layered" decals, but I don't know what else my options are for custom ones. A guy I work with has an uncle that does decals and I need to get his number.

Also, I know NOTHING about marne vinyl. I need to get some for my front bow cross support. The original vinyl has a thin felt on the back, is there a certain kind that this is? Is there a difference between the stuff you put on seats and the stuff you wrap boards with, like this board or like seat bases, or like my side panels??? Like I just don't know....:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Anyone care to comment on marine vinyl types and uses? (see above).

Today I got my new gunwall tops and bow cover:

IMG_2715.jpg

Got one of these the other day on sale at Menards as it is officially cold here in Michigan. I have a ventless natural gass wall heater but it takes a long time to heat the garage up. This does it in 10 minutes, which will be nice for the few hours here and there kind of work.

IMG_2718.jpg

I have lots of supplies now to make some serious progress on this boat, but work keeps interfearing. I need a couple months off!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Definitely a big difference between the flooring/board wrapping vinyl and the seat vinyl. You won't want either in the other ones place.

This place has the best price on the flooring http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23740

^^^I would say this stuff is the modern equivalent to the felt backed stuff you're referring to.

Word of caution on the kerosene heater (I'm regurgitating info here) apparently they can leave a film on things and really mess up any painting or epoxying you want to do. I avoided one because I was painting my hull myself in my garage (HAHA fat lot of good that did me!!!) Not sure if it would effect epoxying as much. Just something you might want to look into.

dozerII

Admiral

Instead of going with marine vinyl$$ I used Dekmaster http://www.ducan.com/vinyl-sundeck/default.php It comes in a couple of weights is identical to marine and less money. Plus you can buy it at most home centers. It comes in 74" widths, inlengths by the foot, which means one solid piece for the floor. The only draw back is I think there is only about four or five colors.
Glen

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks guys, but I am going to carpet the floor (I don't fish). I was wondering about vinyl for covering panels and seats. Is there a difference in vinyl depending on where it goes? I need to get something picked out because I have to cover the cross brace for the bow cover before it gets re-installed.

Thanks.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Forward progress today. Got new bow cover support pieces cut out of some left over ply I used for the transom, and also got them epoxied.

IMG_2787.jpg

Also got a new bow cover cut out of brand new aluminum. This bow piece ran me $65. The total for all the aluminum for the bow cover and gunwall tops was $210. On one of the sizes I wanted they were going to charge me for a full sheet so I told them I better get whats left over from the sheet since I'm paying for it. When I got it the "extras" weren't there so I called to see why. They said they forgot and would refund me the difference since the extras were already thrown away. So I paid for only the weight I recieved.

IMG_2785.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

This is my fuel filler that goes in the portside of the hull about halfway up. It's pretty brittle and has a couple hairline cracks around two of the mounting holes. I bet there is not a new one of these around anywhere. If someone knows of something let me know. I could model this up in cad and have one machined out of a solid piece of aluminum at work if I had to.

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

Here's a shot of where I'm at with the hull. Notice the transom is in awaiting me to drill a bunch of holes in it.

IMG_2789.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Great progress dj! You have made a few big steps toward the goal there.

Man, I really do like all that support you have for your decking, 4 stringers, cool!:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Took the starboard gunwall out tonight. I made up some bracing for the hull expecting it to flex outward without the gunwall stiffness there, but it actually bowed in. I wedged a 2x4 in to hold its shape. The inner gunwall channel or verticle part will go off to get a few holes welded up. The top will be a new piece of aluminum.
I drilled out about 200 rivets to get this one side off. It's odd, the rivets are 11/64 diameter not 3/16 as I thought. They will be replaced with 3/16. I looked for 11/64 but don't think they exist anymore.

IMG_2798.jpg

IMG_2796.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Seriously, 200? Man I bet that got old.

You are probably going to have to put all those back too aren't ya? That will take some time.

Good thing we have all winter eh neighbor:D