1978 Sea Ray Restoration

Deprime

Cadet
First of all I just want to say that this site is GREAT! Loads of good information to sift through, so much that I think my head might explode. I am not new boating and have done some minor interior work and mechanical repair of boats in the past. However, I am about to dive head first into my first boat restoration. I just recently acquired a 1978 Sea Ray SRV 207 with a 228 Mercruiser that is going to need at the very least a floor replacement, complete interior, and an engine build (motor is siezed, water in crankcase). All components and hardware are there and complete with the exception of the lounge seats, rear jump seats, and the top to the engine cover. I am looking forward to the challenge and will definately need to tap into the vast resources of knowledge and experience of the great people on this forum.

If anyone has any words of wisdom to pass along before I get down to work it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any of you own or have worked on my particular model and have any photos of the rear area of the boat (rear seats, engine cover hatch, etc. and would like to share them that would be great!

DSC01734-1.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1978 Sea Ray Restoration

Words of wisdom..... first get a handle on the powertrain. The hull can be restored but depending on the power issues you could have even bigger problems.

Deprime

Cadet

Thanks for the advice. With the exception of the motor which I know will need replacing the rest of the sterndrive components have been closely inspected and have checked out OK. I have rebuilt several engines in the past so that part is not really and issue to me. However, the deck and stringer replacement will be a learning experience!!! I removed most of the upolstery this weekend and have the engine ready to be pulled. Here are a couple of updated pics for those interested.

Also have a question. I have seen pics both inserted into the posts and as attachments. Which method is prefered by most users of this forum?

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Deprime your pics are fine just the way they are putting them in as attachments makes it harder for the dialuppers as it takes a while to open them and thn go back to where you were ( even on 20.0 cable it takes a while :D).

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Beautiful boat. Well worth all the work you're going to be putting into it. We like the pics in the thread but sized to 640x480 (if I'm being picky :) )

erikgreen

Captain

Inline 'em so we don't have to click extra :)

I have a 1981 Sea Ray that looks very similar. I'm contemplating what fixup work to do on it before I start using it next month, so this thread is getting me interested in it again :)

Erik

jonesg

Admiral

Deprime your pics are fine just the way they are putting them in as attachments makes it harder for the dialuppers as it takes a while to open them and thn go back to where you were ( even on 20.0 cable it takes a while :D).

Rick

just right mouse click on thumbnails, select "open in new window"
then close window when done, no mo waiting.

Les Ensenada

Recruit

Hi Everyone. Well I am going to jump in on this one because I am new to this sight AND a first time boat owner. I just purchased a 1978 24' Sea Ray. The engine and outdrive were both rebuilt 3 years ago and then the previous owner stored the boat. So I am wondering what evryone would suggest I should do to get the boat back in running order.

I know I need to change the pump... uummm it is more like a rubber boot on the outdrive.. what else? Do i need to replace all the rubber seals etc?

Also a carb cleaning and probable rebuild are in order as well as a gas tank emptying and cleaning...

Anyone have a checklist handy????

All in put is appreciated!

Les

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

To get the best advice on awakening your sleeping motor and drive you should post a new thread in the I/O repair and maintenance area. That where all the gear heads are and you'll get a wealth of information.

crispins

Seaman

Rick

do people still have dial-up??? that cant be...

Dukw50

Cadet
Re: 1978 SeaRay Restoration

Re: 1978 SeaRay Restoration

First of all I just want to say that this site is GREAT! Loads of good information to sift through, so much that I think my head might explode. I am not new boating and have done some minor interior work and mechanical repair of boats in the past. However, I am about to dive head first into my first boat restoration. I just recently acquired a 1978 Sea Ray SRV 207 with a 228 Mercruiser that is going to need at the very least a floor replacement, complete interior, and an engine build (motor is siezed, water in crankcase). All components and hardware are there and complete with the exception of the lounge seats, rear jump seats, and the top to the engine cover. I am looking forward to the challenge and will definately need to tap into the vast resources of knowledge and experience of the great people on this forum.

If anyone has any words of wisdom to pass along before I get down to work it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if any of you own or have worked on my particular model and have any photos of the rear area of the boat (rear seats, engine cover hatch, etc. and would like to share them that would be great!

DSC01734-1.jpg

DSC01736.jpg

Deprime, I see by your edited post in May, your still working on the boat? If you are still interested/needing pictures I will be glad to take some and get them to you. Also, just replaced some of my old interior in the rear but still have the old wood, could be used as patterns. Let me know, I would like to know how your is comming along.