1978 sea nymph wrs16 restoration

Greetings all, I’m currently restoring an aluminum 1978 sea nymph wrs16 I want it for fishing in the Monterey bay and some other places around the area. I’m thinking about adding a sub deck but not sure if I should add liquid foam or just leave it and let the bilge pump take care of the water? Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No idea what you mean by sub deck. Foam is for flotation and has nothing to do with keeping water out.

Fix the boat to eliminate leaks and let the bilge pump handle the occasional wave, not for continuous water pumping. What happens when the battery goes dead of the pump fails?

No idea what you mean by sub deck. Foam is for flotation and has nothing to do with keeping water out.
Fix the boat to eliminate leaks and let the bilge pump handle the occasional wave, not for continuous water pumping. What happens when the battery goes dead of the pump fails
I did fill the boat up with water when I removed the existing plywood that served as flooring. Held water pretty good no leaks. Ended up having to tilt nose of the boat up released the plug on transom to empty out was a good feeling to know she holds water ( if water stays in it can’t come in) Now I do want to have a flat surface to stand on but there’s still a void about maybe 3” was thinking maybe add liquid foam to fill the empty space but not sure if it even right for the occasion that’s where I lack the experience in boating but nonetheless here I am . Thanks for the response bro.

Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Your boat is similar to Starcrafts. There’s lots of rebuild threads there. Some use pour in floatation foam, some use hard extruded styrofoam or Styrofoam SM as they call it around here. Don’t use the white beadboard styro as it gets waterlogged and can disintegrate. Personally I think pour in is more expensive and used more in Fiberglas boats as a structural component or for custom builds where sold boards are too complicated or can’t effectively fill voids

I did fill the boat up with what when I removed the existing plywood that served as flooring. Held water pretty good no leaks. Ended up having to tilt nose of the boat up released the plug on transom to empty out was a good feeling to know she holds water ( if water stays in it can’t come in) Now I do want to have a flat surface to stand on but there’s still a void about maybe 3” was thinking maybe add liquid foam to fill the empty space but not sure if it even right for the occasion that’s where I lack the experience in boating but nonetheless here I am . Thanks for the response bro.
Your boat is similar to Starcrafts. There’s lots of rebuild threads there. Some use pour in floatation foam, some use hard extruded styrofoam or Styrofoam SM as they call it around here. Don’t use the white beadboard styro as it gets waterlogged and can disintegrate. Personally I think pour in is more expensive and used more in Fiberglas boats as a structural component or for custom builds where sold boards are too complicated or can’t effectively fill voids

For sure, thanks man I was stumped on this one because you get folks that say yea and no but ima go with foam under the plywood . I’ll upload pictures today so all can see the project. Fish on!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
If you filled the boat up with water to look for leaks, and the boat was on the trailer, better check the trailer because the extra weight may have compromised it. Don't drive it until you do.

If you intend to ADD a subdeck that wasn't there before, don't do it because you will undoubtedly exceed the weight capacity of the boat.

An aluminum boat like yours should have had the foam under the seats. It would not have been under the "floor".

When you rip the boat apart, replace everything in like kind. Don't improvise because you heard it so.

Finally, don't replace "flooring" with PT plywood, it will corrode the aluminum. You need marine grade plywood.

will do appreciate the advice. I filled it about 3 inches of water I’d say 2 to 3 but it did have existent foam and I removed it, was rotten foam wasn’t waterlogged but was eaten up seemed like rats were living inside but nonetheless you think I should pour foam??