1978 Mercury Black Max 150 tilt and trim conversion

bowhunter3303

Recruit
i have a 1978 mercury black max 150 that had a 12 pin connection with a tilt and trump pump with a reverse lock solenoid. I have converted the 12 pin to a 8 pin. I got a new 3 wire tilt trim pump so i would be able to use trim with this newer boat i have the motor on. I've hooked both hoses up from motor to pump. The 3 wires were blue green and red. I only needed blue and green for the trim to activate.
With all that said i cannot get the trim to work. Up or down pump makes noise like its working but nothing happens. Ive tried just about everything i can think of for purging air out. But still no movement. Please help. Thank you

This is the pump i purchased off ebay

New Tilt Trim Motor Mercruiser w/ Reservoir, Solenoid, Pump, Side Hull Mount

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, according to the crowleymarine site, you could have the old style PTT with the twin cylinders and trim pump/reservoir in the boat, or the newer PTT that bolts between the transom clamps. Which do you have?

It sounds like the former.

When you say you "got a new 3 wire tilt trim pump", what did you get? A new PTT motor? A PTT pump and motor? Was it from a MerCruiser or something else?

How many wires on the PTT motor? The two systems should be compatible electrically. Not sure ablur hydraulically.