1978 Johnson-Evinrude Electrical Issue

KressA223

Recruit
I have a 1978 Monarch Mcfast with a 1978 Evinrude 70hp with a electrical problem. When I turn the key to the start position for the motor to turn over, the fuse in the motor blows. I have tried new solenoid, new power regulator, new battery, checked all wires for a short, and tried checking the ignition coils. I am lost because nothing has worked. I know the starter is still in good condition because hooking battery cables to it starts right away. If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Coils would have nothing to do with blowing the fuse !--Remove small red wire from sonenoid.------Use a jumper wire from the solenoid and run 12 volts to the battery terminal on ignition switch.----Test again.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
I agree with race.....he will put you in the right maze to fix and learn about this problem.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Ran into a similar issue with my Merc last summer....long story short is, I traced all the wires under the hood looking for rubs, bare spots etc. Sure enough one wire was stretched over a grounding screw. Wire had a heavy cover where it touched the screw, but very carefull examination showed a tiny little rub spot/ or hole about the size of a mosquito head. Slight discoloration is what brought it to my attention. Added a small piece of plastic and some heavy duty tape to recover the pin hole and all was good. Just a tiny hole worn thru to cause a direct short that would blow the fuse the minute the key was turned !! Not saying that is your issue, but some very close examination might be needed. Good luck...

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Find a motor wiring diagram and check that your starter solenoid wiring is the same.
If one wire is on the wrong solenoid lug that will blow the fuse every time.time