1978 Johnson 85ML78C

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Success! 😃

Switching to the OEM connector worked out fine. A few minutes ago I installed the fitting, connected it to the engine, pumped the bulb and it firmed up solid with no leakage!

Using OEM parts did the trick on this one. Moving on to next steps now. :cool:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ewww! 🤢3.jpg
Plugs left to right: 1, 2, 3, 4.
But compression was good! It was 115 PSI per cylinder +/- one, tested on a cold engine with a fully charged battery.
4.jpg

I'm trying to find replacement plugs locally. I'll get a set and fire up the engine. Might even do a water test as well. Maybe. 😏

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
well those plugs could still work.. just polish them up on a wire wheel and carb cleaner , gap them reinstall them and get rid of the big anchor asap....

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
well those plugs could still work.. just polish them up on a wire wheel and carb cleaner , gap them reinstall them and get rid of the big anchor asap....
Done and done. Well, I didn't clean the plugs, I just put them back in there and pulled the engine off the boat and got it ready to sell! :LOL:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A Wire Wheel? That is a great way to ruin a Plug, it can leave metal from the Wheel imbedded on the Insulator. Sand Blasting is the best way to Clean Plugs, though the Electrode takes a Beating and will need to be filed to provide a Sharp Edge, and the Gap adjusted

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
A Wire Wheel? That is a great way to ruin a Plug, it can leave metal from the Wheel imbedded on the Insulator. Sand Blasting is the best way to Clean Plugs, though the Electrode takes a Beating and will need to be filed to provide a Sharp Edge, and the Gap adjusted
I do not have a blaster unfortunately and althought I do agree on the potential of rendering a plug useless I have across 50+ years ...done so with no apparent ill effects by simply not being overly agressive on the plugs.

A small SS brush works to.... followed up with a wash of carb cleaner and air blast.

In doubt, the bucket is my last option.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, thanks for those ideas guys, but it's a moot point now. When I went to put the plugs back in, I discovered that Cylinder #2 had a stripped spark plug hole. So that engine is outta here! :LOL:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Likely the best thing you can do with that abused motor.
Yeah, we pulled the engine off yesterday and last night I placed a "for parts" sale ad online. Now I can move forward with my main project. :cool:

4.jpg

6.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have had better looking motors than that given to me.----Just parts is what it is.