1978 Johnson 85 HP Choke Issues

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
The choke mechanism should move up and down with your finger with Little Resistance. It would appear that that ny- tie is holding it open. Can't tell from those picture angles. The motor has been rewired to fit the red plug box but might not be wired correctly for the choke. Apply 12 volts to the choke solenoid wire and see if it moves. I believe your problems are elsewhere lots of work to do to this motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
All control boxes from 73 to 95 used the red plug.----No idea what that ty-wrap does or what purpose it serves.

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
The choke mechanism should move up and down with your finger with Little Resistance. It would appear that that ny- tie is holding it open. Can't tell from those picture angles. The motor has been rewired to fit the red plug box but might not be wired correctly for the choke. Apply 12 volts to the choke solenoid wire and see if it moves. I believe your problems are elsewhere lots of work to do to this motor.

The solenoid moves without issue
Again dumb question but can i use jumper cables to test?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The solenoid moves without issue
Again dumb question but can i use jumper cables to test?
As in Booster Cables? A bit of Overkill, and a risk of lots of Sparks if they Short Out, which near Gasoline is not a Good Thing. Just use some 16 Gauge Wire to and from a 12 volt Battery.

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
As in Booster Cables? A bit of Overkill, and a risk of lots of Sparks if they Short Out, which near Gasoline is not a Good Thing. Just use some 16 Gauge Wire to and from a 12 volt Battery.

Ahh ok that makes much more sense.
I only need red/pos/hot or do i need red and black?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Cut one piece of wire 24 inches long.----Remover 1/4" insulation from ends.----Find choke wire on the terminal. strip.----Find positive terminal from battery on the solenoid.----Touch one end of that jumper wire on choke terminal.----The other end on + solenoid terminal.---Choke solenoid should click.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Seems to me that motor came with a simplex control box and not the one in the picture. Wire loom (black tape) is not stock.

The solenoid is grounded through the frame so only one wire is needed if the motor is properly hooked up to a 12 volt fully charged battery.

Is a simple electro magnet. You may need to reach out to a friend to help you learn about working on this motor.

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
Seems to me that motor came with a simplex control box and not the one in the picture. Wire loom (black tape) is not stock.

The solenoid is grounded through the frame so only one wire is needed if the motor is properly hooked up to a 12 volt fully charged battery.

Is a simple electro magnet. You may need to reach out to a friend to help you learn about working on this motor.

I have a neighbor that has been some help, I am trying to learn what I can also and you guys have been a huge help so far. thank you.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is no difference ( other than looks ) between the older boxes and the newer ones.-----They work the same and are interchangeable.

Bassboating

Seaman Apprentice
There is no difference ( other than looks ) between the older boxes and the newer ones.-----They work the same and are interchangeable.

If I needed a new one what would I search for?
I am suspecting round plug johnson control box

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my opinion the testing is easy.----But if you insist find a new control box with a red plug.-----Many are listed on E-BAY.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Interesting, I had a 77 35 HP and it came with a simplex. I didn't know that was the wrong era.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Control will work, I actually like The older Control as the Cable Movement was straight back and forth, the later Controls moved the Cable in an Arc

I am referring to the Old Simplex/Shipmaster Control, not the Single Lever designs

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
This is a Remote Control for 1979 V4 mdels. NOT the same inside or outside. Even takes different cables

Remote Contol.jpg

Remote Control Parts List.jpg