1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

TrickyRicky

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
37
I just got a used boat in a trade 16' aluminum Lowe .
Has a 1978 Johnson 55hp model 55EL78S
The engine wiring harness is completely gone/ rotted out. I ordered a new one already from CDI electronics.
I did a compression test 130psi both cylinders. OK ? Seems low but at least even.

Here is a huge problem I found while replacing the fuel inlet hose to the pump. The front engine bolt (one of 4 rubber mounts)is broken off flush. Next, I found a chunk of aluminum sitting beside the block. After an oh ship moment, I started looking for a missing chunk. I noticed an area that the repaint on the Block looked funny. After some probing and picking removing epoxy I found a big hole in the lower intake runner. There was marine tex for the patch with a piece of thin sheet metal on top and another thin coat of marine tex to conceal it.
Not sure why a hole would be there. There is no water jacket in that area. It also seems that the upper intake has been patched the same way. I have not even started the engine so I have no idea if it will run. I plan to REPATCH the marine tex and install the harness next week when I get it. I really don't know much about this engine but was told it ran good before it sat for the last 6 years. I did take the carbs off and inspect they were very clean.
Is there a design flaw that causes cracks in that area? Should I look for another powerhead for it or just get a different outboard? Anybody know of a salvage yard I may find a used 78 complete or powerhead? Advise please I am a decent auto/atv mechanic but have only had 2 other boats. Did see powerhead on Flebay but one back mount is broken. Thanks
 

BonairII

Commander
Joined
Jun 7, 2011
Messages
2,727
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

Post a clear pic of the problem, please.
 

F_R

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jul 7, 2006
Messages
28,226
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

You know the routine: patch it up and find some sucker and sell it to him. That's what the last guy did. Got morals or integrity?

I think there is a sticky on this forum listing scrap yards
 

TrickyRicky

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
37
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

Block hole 001.jpg Here she is in her holey glory! Ouch
 

TrickyRicky

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
37
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

Thought I might see if one of you old salts may have a line on a 78 seahorse
 

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
20,826
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

Looks like it threw a rod at one time or another. Next question would be, what's the crankshaft look like ??
 

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
8,958
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

Look in the "Top Secret File" sticky at the top of the page, there is a list of salvage yards there, maybe one of them can help you out.
 

TrickyRicky

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 17, 2012
Messages
37
Re: 1978 johnson 55hp Huge HOLE in BLOCK Help!

Thanks for the Salvage list.
Are any other year powerheads interchangeable when I call around looking. Evinrude is interchangeable? Sorry not 100% sure
 
Top