1978 Galaxie Tri-hull

GG92260

Cadet
Hello All,

New to iBoats and just picked up a one-owner '78 Galaxie Tri-hull in amazing condition with a total of 150 hrs. It's has been sitting in a garage for 37 years. 20 of those completely unused so I've just started looking at what looks brittle enough to replace before turning the key so to say. Replaced brittle houses, oil and battery.

Motor looks shiny new on outside, pulled plugs - motor spins freely. Put plugs back in, new battery and turned key - fired right up on starter gas. Won't stay running though so it's not getting gas. Given how long it's been sitting, I'm guessing that a new fuel pump diaphragm and cleaning the rigid fuel line may be a good start.

Doesn't show fuel in tank (though that can simply be the gauge), but I assume it has old fuel in it. What would be the easiest way to remove the old fuel? Sending a hose down the filler neck?

Other thoughts are most welcome.

GG
BabyBlue(small).jpg

Attachments

• BabyBlue(small).jpg
    BabyBlue(small).jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow, Nice boat and nice find!! Good luck with the ole gal. My last was an mfg something or other. Not in good as shape as yours is though. There's some manual or electric fuel pumps you can buy to suck out the old gas. probably find something at harbor freight. Gauges are probably shot. Do you have access to the tank fill and vent, usually there's a removable cover/plate for service work if needed.
On another note you will need to determine if the fiberglassed wood, stringers, bulheads, floor, transom are still solid. Only cause of the age of the boat. You should make some drillings and see if the dust comes out dry or wet. Might be too dry, dunno.
Welcome aboard post more pics.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: board GG92260. Yes a great fine...

As for removing the old gas, the outlet is probably the easiest place to do that. Since you need new fuel lines and primer pump bulb anyways, install the new one on the fuel tank and pump the primer bulb and let it drain the tank for you into some other gas container. Once that stops flowing, the remainder should be so little that unless you see debris in the fuel as it is empting the tank into the capture container, I would just refuel it back up and use it. JMHO!

And I second kcassell's idea and suggestion about investigating the floor, stringers and certainly the transom for any rot, cracking or whatever, simply do to age. If all that checks out good, clean up all the electrical connections and happy boating. :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I seriously doubt that boat has any structural issues. I would check the rear portions of the deck especially around the motor area and the corners but I'm betting you're not gunna find anything of significance. It's obvious she has been well cared for. My boat was a Barn Find and she was 50 yrs old and was structurally sound as well. Not Deck, Stringer or Transom work needed. It does happen just not very often.
You might find this of interest...

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Last edited:

GG92260

Cadet
Thank you all for the sound advise. I've got a fuel pump kit arriving first of the week as well as misc nick-nacks to freshen things up. I will pump out the old gas and replace any rubber fuel hoses and the filters of course. I'm hoping I don't need to fuzz with the carb.

She is very sounds structurally with no soft-spots or other issues. The original owner never left her outside overnight, nor in the water overnight. She was really
pampered. Not even a leaf in the bilge.

0311161254.jpg0311161253.jpg 0312161256_HDR.jpg 0311161254a.jpg 0311161253b.jpg 0311161253a.jpg 0312161259_HDR.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
That may be the Cleanest Vintage boat I've seen posted here on iBoats!!! I'd spend my time and Money ensuring that the motor was serviced and all the hoses, seals and outdrive essentials were checked and updated and HIT THE WATER!!! She's really a BEAUT!!!! Have you inspected the bottom of the hull and had the trailer bearings serviced??

GG92260

Cadet
Thank you. Yes, I feel very lucky to have found her.

Bought her sight unseen with really bad pix on a charity auction on eBay. Pure luck as far as I'm concerned.

I had to put new tires on the trailer (tires were "square") in the town where I picked her up, and had them check the bearings and repack them at the same time.

Bottom looks super clean, no scratches, or gouges. Just a two very small chips in gelcoat by the bow eyelet.

​I will have somebody check the outdrive though as I do not know anything about those as my other boat has inboards.

Thank yuu again for the kind words and good advise.

Geo

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looks like you made one heck of a catch ! :fish2: Keep us posted.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
That is a super clean boat and congrats on such a find. Please let us know how the I6 runs for you...how the boat preforms:D. Again awesome "barn" find for sure!:happy: