1978 Chrysler 70hp igniition question and CD information

jeep8589

Cadet
I have a 1978 Chrysler 70hp with the magnapower w/points ignition. When I look at the wiring diagrams, it shows the black wire from the CD unit going to the GND side of the coil, which makes sense. What does not make sense to me though is why there is another wire that goes from the GND side to the distributor housing, grounding it out. When I read how to test the CD unit, it says I should get 200 volts from the grey wire that goes to the + side of the coil. I am having no spark issues with it currently and I am trying to figure this out. Does it send a constant 200 volts or does it send 200 volt pulses to the coil. If it sends a constant 200 volts, how does it cause the coil circuit to collapse, sending the high voltage spark to the coil wire if it is always grounded. Normally, on points system the points opening causes the circuit to collapse. If it sends 200 volt pulses thru the grey wire then I understand, because the pulse causes it to collapse. The problem I have is that when it sits a while, the engine will start right up. After it warms up and I put the engine under load, it dies and I lose all spark. Looking for some help if anyone knows the ins and outs of the CD system.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Chrysler 70hp igniition question and CD information

Your engine has the Motorola Magnapower system. If it is indeed a 1978, then someone has swapped out the elecrtric eye distributor for a points distributor. Not much difference but the electric eye is a LITTLE more precise and never needs gapping.

That ground wire is absolutely essential. The distributor body is insulated from the mount and the rest of the engine by grease in the bushing. Without a solid ground, the points which are grounded through the body of the distributor will not go to ground when closed and will not signal the CD box to dump the capacitor voltage into the coil--NO SPARK!

NOW: The CD box has TWO power sources. 1. The red wire is always powered whether the engine is on or not. It charges the capacitors in the CD box. That is why if after sitting a long while with the battery disconnected, when you go to connect the battery, you will get a spark.
2. The blue wire powers the electronics inside the box and is only on when the switch is in run or crank position. When you turn off the key, the box gets no power, the capacitors stay charged, but no signal is sent to dump the capacitors into the coil.

How it works: (Generally, and some possible minor errors but basically correct.) Capacitors are constantly charged by the battery, regulated by a transistor. The CD box sends a voltage to the points. When the points open, the voltage has no where to go except signalling the gate transistor to dump the capacitors. At this point, voltage builds up very quickly in the primary of the coil because the capacitors dump almost instantaneously. Also, because they dump so fast, the voltage drops almost instantaneously. The magnetic field collapses and the secondary now generates about 60,000 volts to fire the plug.

Of course, at full throttle and 5000 RPM this is happening 20,000 times per minute so you can see that there is a lot of work the capacitors are doing. A lot of heat builds up in the CD box. That is one reason the newer Prestolite system is superior: Two boxes with four sets of capacitors and four coils. Each unit is doing only 1/4 the work that the Motorola unit is doing AND it is more precise because there is no distributor.

If it starts well and runs well until the CD box heats up, then that is typical failure mode for a capacitor: It will short out when hot but behave normally when cool. This would indicate that the Cd box is failing. These boxes are "potted" completely and are not repairable. Well, you can have them repaired but it costs just as much as buying a new one. First try to borrow a known good one to be certain it is the box, then try to buy one on the auctions.

jeep8589

Cadet
Re: 1978 Chrysler 70hp igniition question and CD information

Very good answer and appreciate the thoroughness, but I am still not sure on one thing and my **** poor explaination my be the cause. When I was talking about the ground wire, I understand the distributor needing to be grounded, but was wondering about the significance of having to ground the coil, when it has a wire that goes to the CD unit to discharge thru.