1978 85HP Evinrude no spark port side

Zman70

Recruit
I have a 1978 Evinrude 85899C. It now has new coils and a new power pack on the port side. Engine runs on the muffs with just the Starboard cylinders firing. Compression is ok on all cylinders. Is this a stator or timer issue or is there something else I should be checking? I have a meter but I’m not exactly sure how to check the stator and timer.

Straightsman

Recruit
I have a 1978 Evinrude 85899C. It now has new coils and a new power pack on the port side. Engine runs on the muffs with just the Starboard cylinders firing. Compression is ok on all cylinders. Is this a stator or timer issue or is there something else I should be checking? I have a meter but I’m not exactly sure how to check the stator and timer.
I have a 1977 Evinrude 85hp which only has one power pack. I had a similar problem so I swapped the sensor wires (2 for 2) on the power pack and found that the spark was still good on the same side, so I am reasonably sure I have a bad power pack.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can take ohm readings on the sensor coils and charge coils without removing the flywheel.------But first check all the pins / sockets on the rubber " plug in " connectors.

Rich F

Recruit
I have a 1977 Evinrude 85hp which only has one power pack. I had a similar problem so I swapped the sensor wires (2 for 2) on the power pack and found that the spark was still good on the same side, so I am reasonably sure I have a bad power pack.
I have an "89" gt150. RT side fires good, LT side not firing at all. I can't see any thing to that looks bad/melted etc. I would love to hear if you replaced the pwr pack and fixed the he problem. I think that's what's wrong, but didn't want to throw $$$ at a hunch. Plz reply