1978-80 Sea King 3.5HP (Clinton)

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1978-80 Sea King 3.5HP (Clinton)

you could try intertec publishing corp. they make a lot of aftermarket manuals such as "outboard motor service manual" which has a lot of outboards from 3.5 -25 hp.this manual has your engine and complete breakdown of it.

I purchased the Outboard Motor Service Manual Vol 1 30HP and less. And also the Outboard Engine Book.

I hope these will help if other problems arise.

Thanks for the info narwhals. Now if I could only find out how to fab up a reed plate.

dodger7847

Seaman

did you find reeds ??
I have reeds in 7.5 seaking carb tillotson 1978 dont know if they will fit

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

By the way Don't know if anyone discussed your fuel mix.
Stick with the 1/2 pt to a gallon. use TCW3 rated oil or any good 2 stroke oil.
There are quite a few here that really like thev Clinton and Eska motors
And can be very helpful.Parts sources are better than they used to be but Clinton has been gone since about 1980.The motors are light but noisy and vibrate pretty good
If your investment in time and money seems to be climbing you may want to consider a more main line motor like the older Evinrude/Johnson 3,5,5.5 hp motors.From the early n50s to the 70s.Routine parts are readily available.Some right here at Iboats.
These motors are quiet smooth and powerful.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

did you find reeds ??
I have reeds in 7.5 seaking carb tillotson 1978 dont know if they will fit

I was able to find the entire intake manifold for less than 30 bucks shipped. I have since replaced the old one, sealed it back up (another issue I believe, see next post) and taken her out a few times.

If I should ever need another, I will keep you in mind! Thanks!

~Nick

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

By the way Don't know if anyone discussed your fuel mix.
Stick with the 1/2 pt to a gallon. use TCW3 rated oil or any good 2 stroke oil.
There are quite a few here that really like thev Clinton and Eska motors
And can be very helpful.Parts sources are better than they used to be but Clinton has been gone since about 1980.The motors are light but noisy and vibrate pretty good
If your investment in time and money seems to be climbing you may want to consider a more main line motor like the older Evinrude/Johnson 3,5,5.5 hp motors.From the early n50s to the 70s.Routine parts are readily available.Some right here at Iboats.
These motors are quiet smooth and powerful.

My wifes uncle has an older Johnson I think he is going to give me. The Clinton runs but won't stay running with the choke less than half way out. I think it may be a combination of things. Carb tuning, fuel mixture (32:1), and the fact that its OLD.

It did start to run better the longer I used it, but it certainly wasn't running properly. So, it sits winterized for now, until the spring for more Walleye fishing!!!!

As posted, I am running 32:1. What say the experts about this ratio for this motor?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

The 4.48 & 5.76 cu.in. motors is rated for 16:1 ,8ozs per gallon,. 32:1 is way too light.
These motors have plain bronze bushings.

Neeco

Seaman Apprentice

The 4.48 & 5.76 cu.in. motors is rated for 16:1 ,8ozs per gallon,. 32:1 is way too light.
These motors have plain bronze bushings.

Wow. Okay. I will be trying 16:1 in the spring when I break her out. Thanks for the info Steelespike!