1978 35hp rebuild or not?

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got the motor after it had a water pump go out and seeze twice. Remove the head, used a little muriatic acid to clean the aluminum off of the cylinders. Removed the exhaust cover to see if the Rings were free and they were. Reassembled the motor and ran it for another 7 years. This spring it started to get noisy. Almost sure that it has piston or crank tinkle. Compression is 125 on both holes. I am hesitant to rebuild it because of possible crank issues. Buy just gazing at prices for rebuild kits, it appears as though I could put $2,000 in an old motor? I guess that gives me my answer. Add $1,000 for a nice new fourstroke. It's just that I've had it for so long it's a part of me. Wouldn't know how to act without a good old 2 stroke on the back. Guess I got to change with the times. I don't know of any inexpensive way to fix that. Anybody got any suggestions?
Thanks for any and all comments.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its a 40 year old motor. For about $500 you can buy a 20 year old 2-stroke motor

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I just sold two mid 50's mercs that my father used to own that needed minor work (im talking a weekend of TLC each). my intention was to rebuild / restore them and put them on an old 50's vintage boat to pull behind one of the early 50's trucks I was restoring at the time. however I sold the trucks and no longer have enough free time to rebuild them and I need something newer than the mid 80's (stainless shafts) to run in the brackish and brine down here in FL. so I set aside the emotional attachment and sold them for $100 each. Im now going to spend $500 for a late 80's 30hp merc to put on my fishing boat and will most likely sell the '59 gale that is sitting on it now.

you know you can get an entire power head for your '78 off of craigslist for $75. you can get a complete motor for $500 this time of year and about $200 in a month or two

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guess I just need to start searching. I'm sure there are plenty of the old 35 hanging around somebody's basement somewhere. Some maybe even with only a few hours where it was to take North fishing and then put away until next year. Just have to be able to find one. I like looking about January to March when nobody much thinks about boating.
I wondered about taking the motor and splitting it to see what's in there. But if I find a bad crank and bad Pistons, which is almost a given,......... I'll be north of 65 years old soon. Maybe I have earned myself a new E-Tec?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Why not just buy a powerhead from eBay or one of the outboard salvage yards? There are tons of them floating around with low hours in the northern states.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Guess I just need to start searching. I'm sure there are plenty of the old 35 hanging around somebody's basement somewhere.

where 'bouts you located. a mid 80's 35hp in Appleton Wi on craigslist for $400. could get it for about $300

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
65? take a road trip with a pocket of cash and head to michigan or minnesota or anywhere there are spring fed clear lakes. Take a week or two and buy all the little one county papers you came across with for sale adds. It will be a fun trip even if you dont find something. stop in every little independant boat shop. Somebody will have a two stroker you can fall in love with.

I have always wondered if there are not a ton of them in the peoples republic of california now that you can not use a two stroke there legal.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
We just got a lady a complete 55hp for $100 -- Just needed carbs cleaned, starter and water pump. Those engines are everywhere.

Sirrobin53

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will keep looking, but the Outboards that look like they are worth anything are north of $2,000. Anything that's $100 usually needs to be either an anchor or a fish attractor here. I don't get rid of my good outboards. Does anyone on the Forum get rid of their good ones? I suspect not. I have run the Craigslist gauntlet from the Gulf Coast to International Falls. Nothing was $100. Maybe an old 2 horse Elgin. Air-cooled at that! Well at least no water pump to go out. And for sure, I don't need saltwater engines. When I see advertised Gulf Coast freshwater I scratch my head. I guess mama raised an idiot. I got kicked by the mule three or four times.