1977 Starcraft 18SS Windshield Support Removal

kkrush

Recruit
I have a 1977 StarCraft 18SS that I have owned for about 5 years. It is all original with the inboard OMC 140. I have been slowly upgrading the boat to be a multi purpose family boat that does cruising, watersports and of course fishing. So far I have added sound system with satellite radio, fish finder, dual batteries, and swim platform. This year I plan to add a transom mount trolling motor, bimini top to replace original camper top for more headroom, and power anchor. With the bimini top install, I am trying to clear space along the side of the boat to make fishing easier without having to move your rod around all of the supports. One of these supports is the side window support bar. I noticed on one of Budski's 1979 V5 18SS rebuilds that this support was cut off flush with the side window pane and I was wondering if that provided enough support for the windshield or if it vibrated badly. I have attached the photo of his boat from his rebuild thread if anyone has comments on this modification.

With the addition of the trolling motor it may not be a big deal as I will likely do most of my fishing from the back deck, but with a family of 6, fishing space is always a concern.

Thanks,
Kyle Starcraft 18ss with cut window supports.jpg

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Welcome,

Your question is very specific. Your best bet would be to ask the builder of the boat you are referencing. I'm not sure if anyone else could address the how much vibration there would be.

As a general rule, you'll notice most on here will typically try to build (or rebuild) as strong if not stronger than the original. So if you're removing a support, it's a good idea to beef up the remaining supports.

Good luck.