1977 SS 18' transom height

El Gaffer

Seaman Apprentice
So here is the bracing I have done. The bracket is held by 3/4" and 5/8" stainless bolts. The casting deck is flat now and bolted with 3/8" bolts. The knee brace is tied to the stringers which I braced too.
Do you think it will suffice? I did end up lowering the bracket some.
Also, how high are you guys mounting your driver seat from the floor, my next thing I'm working on.
Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh wow that looks super strong! :thumb:

Is that the old transom wood in there? Must be for fitting and work on the braces.

fetch

El Gaffer

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, I been jumping on it at 240lbs, seems solid. Going to put flush mount seat base in the middle.
Yes, old wood to fit. Glad I did since I lowered the bracket. Now time to take it all back apart to put new one in.
Working on mounting seats this weekend. Might get it done sooner than I thought.

Mkline85

Seaman
That looks well built, I'm also adding a bracket to mine, mine was originally and outboard with a giant splashwell. When I cut the new transom I brought the top almost straight across under the corner caps. I'll do structural supports similar to yours. With the bracket typically you will run a 25 " shaft so the top of the bracket where it mounts to the stern will be at 24".

El Gaffer

Seaman Apprentice
I have a question regarding my fuel tank setup. I have a 18gallon belly tank, the fill it toward the bow. I was thinking about changing the fill cap to the bow under the rail and using the factory vent. Do you guys see any problem in doing it this way?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nope just know that new filler hose costs around 10 bucks a foot.

El Gaffer

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, yeah my tank is under the front casting deck, that 10bucks a foot is why I want to move it.
The way things are going, this may need to survive a bomb, bugout boat..hehe