1977 Merc(4.5) Cooling water questions

groovy.dude

Cadet
I put in a new impeller yesterday and althoug I had a few frustrating minutes I thought it went well. It all went back together and the gears worked the same as they did before. But when I started the motor up, I am not getting any water out of the pee hole. And I get lots of bubbles going out of the intake hole. When I had the lower unit off, I checked to see if the hoses were plugged using an air hose attachment, and it seemed fine. And even with it all together if I put an air hose on the pee hole, it will blow bubbles out of the intake above the prop. When the motor is running, if I put my hand by the pee hole it feels like there is air blowing out which makes me think the impeller is working. I have tried not to let it run for more than 5 - seconds like this, but I am at a loss. Does anybody have any suggestions?

groovy.dude

Cadet
Re: 1977 Merc(4.5) Cooling water questions

Sorry for all my spelling mistakes. Also I meant to say that I have tried not to let it run for more than 5 - 10 seconds like this.

Laddies

Banned

H!ll I'm the worlds worst speller don't worry about it, if you got the key in the impeller right and the peices of the old impeller out of the engine and it still won't pump the rubber grommets on the pickup tube could be leaking so it doesn't have vacume, you can ck this all quickly with a drill hooked to the driveshaft, make sure it's not in gear. if it pumps water you have a impeller vane in tha water passage ussally under the exhaust cover or the passage from the exhaust chamber to the cyl

groovy.dude

Cadet

That is a great idea. If I do have a impeller vane blocking my pipe, how do I get it out?

Laddies

Banned

You ussally have to remove the power head to ck the top of the tube and while it's off remove the exhaust cover and water jacket cover (head) it's easier to do it all at once and be sure, than to try one thing at a time--Bob