1977 mako 20 new deck and stringers

hobo4430

Recruit
I bought a 20 mako for 995.00 in fair shape, I was told the deck and transom were not soft, but after grinding on the deck I found 3 large soft spots.
I have replaced a deck one time on a 16 foot fiberglass boat and it wasnt that hard to do.
My mako like most other boats are polyester the deck has balsa core and ply strips , all the balsa is mush so I decided to replace the deck.
I first cut out the top layer to see what it was like.

IMG_3093.jpg

I cut a small hole in the sub deck and found water in the foam so I started to remove the compleet deck. I found broken stringers and cracked fiberglass

IMG_3103.jpg

most of the foam was dry so I put it aside to reuse when I put new foam in, it will fill the space and I wont have to buy as much
I cut out the first of the two stringers, braceing the gunwales to help keep the shape of the hull, found some spruce planks for the new stringers they werent that bad I think 32.00 each ground down to the hull removeing all the plywood and leaving about a 1 inch peice of fioberglass from the stringer for alignment of the new stringer. I made up a batch of bondo and used it to hold and fair in the lumber, remember to first coat the wood with resin and make it kick a little slower so it will absorb some of the resin to protect the wood, then glassed over it with 18 oz wovenroveing with a mat backer

IMG_3104.jpg

after they were booth in I removed the hull supports so I could start installing new ply wood deck, I will perpair the ply in the same manner, first coat the ply sealing the edges and flat surface befor the cloth.

IMG_3107.jpg

This is the point where I stoped and will post more pictures when I start work again on the boat.
The transom is solid and the rot stoped just aft of the new stringers, that was sealed and glassed. I have plans on leaving out the useless bait wells and fish box under the deck and install a livewell and fish box above deck

what the boat looked like when I got her
IMG_3074.jpg

[

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1977 mako 20 new deck and stringers

welcome, nice project boat, coming along nicley, good luck and have fun
D

lrcustom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it looks like your off to a smashing start there. Reading your post and Pic's it sounds like you know what to do already. As far as the replies. Sometimes it's just timing I think. it will be slow during the week and much more at the week ends. I enjoy this forum a lot. A lot of what I thought I knew I didn't or found better ideas. Most of the replies are helpfull and encouraging. These restores take a lot of emotional effort (most guy's won't talk about that) But the encouragement is always welcome for me. Keep your post going there are lots of folks reading and taking in what your doing. That a good thing.
That's a great looking boat for sure. I am into an 87 Sea Ray 18' BR. Just started last weekend. it's all been destrution to this point but this Saturday I cut my first new piece of wood and open my first can of resin. Joy, Joy, Joy.

Have fun and get done.

LR Custom
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=376954

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking boat and it looks like you're off to a good start. That's a boat you could actually make money on which is rare! Would you mind resizing your pics to 640x480? Thanks.

As for getting more comments, what I recommend is now that you have this restoration thread going, put the link to it in your signature. Then comment on some of the other glass restos going on and those guys will certainly check yours out. There's so many great projects going on right now that it's easy for one to get lost in the pile. Good luck with you project and welcome to iboats.