1977 Johnson 6hp, is my diagnosis correct?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
1977 6hp Johnson - Magneto Capacitance Discharge ignition.

BoatThings.... Frankly, in my 30+ some years at the bench, I was never really interested in the actual ohm reading of the coil(s)... what concerned me more was the continuity, as follows:
(Magneto Capacitance Discharge Coils - Continuity Test))
(J. Reeves)

Check the continuity of the ignition coils. Remove the primary orange wire from whatever it's connected to. It may be connected to a powerpack screw type terminal, a rubber plug connector, or it may simply plug onto a small boss terminal of the coil itself.

Connect the black lead of a ohm meter to the spark plug boot terminal, then with the red ohm meter lead, touch the ground of the coil or the powerhead itself if the coil is still installed.

Then touch (still with the red lead) the orange wire if it's attached to the coil, or if it's not attached, touch the primary stud of the coil. You should get a reading on both touches (contacts). If not, check the spring terminal inside the rubber boots of the spark plug wire... the spring should be touching the fanned out center wire Poor or no continuity of a coil is one reason for s/plug fouling.
NOTE that a inline spark test light will not give a true reading of the powerpack or ignition coil's quality. The spark test requires a tester with an adjustable air gap.

With all spark plugs removed,the spark must jump a 7/16" air gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP. Anything else presents a problem.
(Spark Tester - Home Made)
(J. Reeves)

You can use a medium size philips screwdriver (#2 I believe) inserted into the spark plug boot spring connector, then hold the screwdriver shank approximately 7/16" away from the block to check the spark or build the following:

A spark tester can be made with a piece of 1x4 or 1x6, drive a few finishing nails through it, then bend the pointed ends at a right angle. You can then adjust the gap by simply twisting the nail(s). Solder a spark plug wire to one which you can connect to the spark plug boots, and a ground wire of some kind to the other to connect to the powerhead somewhere. Use small alligator clips on the other end of the wires to connect to ground and to the spark plug connector that exists inside of the rubber plug boot.

Using the above, one could easily build a spark tester whereas they could connect 2, 4, 6, or 8 cylinders all at one time. The ground nail being straight up, the others being bent, aimed at the ground nail. A typical 4 cylinder tester follows:

..........X1..........X2

.................X..(grd)

..........X3..........X4

This can obviously be modified to a 6 or 8 cylinder setup tester.
If memory serves me properly, the fuel pump operates off of the top cylinder so if the diaphragm was leaking, that would affect the top cylinder... and apparently that was still firing enough to run for a short time after the engine failure... so the fuel pump diaphragm should be okay. However, I'll list the diaphragm test procedure immediately below just in case you would want to make sure.
(Fuel Pump Diaphragm Test)
(Two Hose Type Only)
(J. Reeves)

Note: This pertains only to the regular Two Hose type fuel pumps.

Leave the hoses attached to the fuel pump. Remove only the two screws that attach the fuel pump to the powerhead. Re-insert those two screws and install a nut to each of them so that the fuel pump is securely clamped together. With the fuel line attached to the engine, pump the primer bulb while observing the pressure/vacuum operating hole on the back side of the fuel pump. Should any fuel leak out that hole, the diaphragm is faulty.

If the diaphragm is faulty, the fuel pump will require rebuilding or replacing. Note that repair kits are not available for all fuel pumps, in which case replacing the pump would be necessary.
The mention of a "power loss accompanied by a nasty racket, however does make me wonder as in my time at the bench I've had a lot of engines running on less than their numbered cylinders... BUT... no racket. However, perhaps our individual description of racket varies so putting that aside...............
Miscellaneous:
Best to use new Champion QL77JC4 plugs, gaped to either .030 (long life) or .040 (super strong spark). Even though the actual running hours are short... age and the elements do take their toll on those items.

The graphic of the bottom s/plug... it really does have the given effect of being water, BUT if it burns.................!

I'll just have to take your word on the compression readings, however in our line of work for years on end, and coming across a 30 psi difference. To us, that spells disaster engine wise. Anyhow...............

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
""Crosyman, thanks for your interest in the actual problem here, and not your own ego,...""

????? did I mis something here where did the ego thing come from

I am not a OB mechanic that is certain… but I have done troubleshooting in telephony for years eqpt back to relay days… everything worked with relays and talk about bugs, diagrams, ...bad connections & contacts . :spider:

ho well best of luck :focus:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
BoatThings continues to deny that a 30 psi difference in compression could be a problem.-----We wait patiently on the outcome on this simple motor

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
iggy -"ALWAYS right on the money."

Example of "guru" "help" received:

Jimmbo - "60 psi on top and 90 on bottom, somehow doesn't sound kosher to me. Pull the head, you might just have a less than perfect gasket, or a slightly warped head. Also remove the transfer port cover and look at the piston skirts, and check the rings for tension"

racerone - "Are there transfer port covers on a 6 HP model ???----I don't think so !"

If you're initial response is that you want to scold me, and have no interest or knowledge to offer about the 1300 ohm coils that should be 275 +/- 50, that's not being a "guru", that's being childish.

Can we move on to the actual technical problem here? Check the ego before posting.

Reading comprehension needs work on YOUR part. I stated every time that I asked for help from the guys that would know, they were "ALWAYS on the money". Again, it says every time that "I" asked, not every time you or anyone else asked, but every time I asked. So don't preach to anyone else on here that they need work on their reading skills!!!

BoatThings

Cadet
Sorry Crosbyman, I think you misunderstood me. I was legitimately thanking you for being the only person here interested in the actual problem.

Thank you also to Joe Reeves. That's good information. I've now ordered some coils but I should have a spark gap tester on hand.

recerone, I already explained how the difference in PSI developed and why it was present, you can go back and check it out, it's pretty simple. I also explained that when both cylinders are in the same condition they have the same compression. Are you choosing to ignore my explanation? Have you actually tried out testing a old and cold two stroke with wet and dry cylinders to see the difference in compression? Holy molly how I wish I didn't mention the actual numbers. The important thing is that they're the same under the same conditions... why so hard to grasp? Only explanation is the "guru" ego. Drop it already.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have about a dozen of these 6 hp motors.-----I know how they work.-----Best check the head gasket.-----The new gasket is much improved over the factory original I believe.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Good to hear you ordered new coils.I wouldn't of gone 1 foot with that coil in the pic.If I read correctly you said the motor would run for a while then die then after waiting awhile same thing ,that's classic coil failure.I have the 1974 6hp Johnson and she is a stellar little motor.Good luck and happy boating.I think so much of mine the it sits proudly beside my etec as a kicker slash emergency motor.

BoatThings

Cadet
Got the new coils in, each new are 268 ohms. Running like a champ again. Much smoother idle, I think one cylinder was maybe cutting out at low revs for quit a while and I just thought that's how choppy it ran down low. I usually like to get OEM parts with my automotive experience, but I ended up going for the sierra coils this time, as they were more easily available, and made in Germany instead of the BRP part, made in Hong Kong.

The new gasket is much improved over the factory original I believe.

That's good to know. Not currently having any headgasket symptoms but it seems simple enough to do, should probably just switch it out for a new one as part of my preventative maintenance campaign I'm embarking on now. This has been a great little motor for me, but a lot of it is still original, like those coils. The recent breakdown has knocked some sense into me.This is my main motor on my canoe camping / crabbing rig, my arms are the kicker slash emergency motors. I get pretty far out on some of the larger lakes around here with a fully loaded boat. Going to start replacing likely failure points as time permits. What do you most often see break down on these motors Racerone?

Impeller was replaced right before I bought the motor, but I'm planning to do that again, maybe get the whole waterpump assembly from BRP, I read somewhere it was also an updated unit.

I've rebuilt the carb, and now done the coils.

Planning on doing the head gasket, thermostat and thermostat seal. Can't seem to find a thermostat cap gasket (that little 3 bolt cover) anywhere locally, maybe I'll just try some gasket maker there. I think I'll also do a refresh on the lower end while I do the water pump, replace all the seals. My leg oil comes out good every year, no milk, but might as well when I've got it mostly apart for the water pump anyway.

What else should I be focusing on as a possible failure point of this engine?

Couple photos of my rig, all breaks down to fit within the canoe on the roof rack.

Attachments

• photo317179.jpg
    photo317179.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo317180.jpg
    photo317180.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I believe you have the situation well in hand.-----Good luck with this motor.----The thermostat gasket is likely an " in stock " item at many shops.-----They made this engine block for many years as you know !!

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Definitely go with an OEM impeller. Sierra parts are usually good but they've had problems there.

BoatThings

Cadet
I believe you have the situation well in hand.-----Good luck with this motor.----The thermostat gasket is likely an " in stock " item at many shops.-----They made this engine block for many years as you know !!

Thermostat seal part # 310058 was in stock, but can't find thermostat cap gasket part # 311145 anywhere locally. Hard to even find online available in Canada, and is way overpriced for the sources I did find. Napa here claims to carry Sierra stuff, but they also had none in stock all across Canada. Seems like a good candidate for gasket maker anyway. I carry some instant stuff in my repair kit if it happens to fail, but I've found it's usually quite durable.

Thanks for the info about the Sierra impellers, I'll stay away. I usually always stick to OEM anyway, unless there's a good reason not to.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why ----" overpriced "------Most prices for single , exact replacement parts are 19 cents with the final price including shipping / handling.----That is why the price is $8.19 so to speak.-----No one is making a lot of money on a single wee part.----Perhaps you are not aware of the cost of warehousing / storing spare parts !!------That is why many products today have ZERO parts support.----Cheaper to buy a whole new item !!

BoatThings

Cadet
Why ----" overpriced "------Most prices for single , exact replacement parts are 19 cents with the final price including shipping / handling.----That is why the price is $8.19 so to speak.-----No one is making a lot of money on a single wee part.----Perhaps you are not aware of the cost of warehousing / storing spare parts !!------That is why many products today have ZERO parts support.----Cheaper to buy a whole new item !!

I consider it overpriced based on comparison. I see it's easily available from USA parts suppliers for ~$3, meanwhile the cheapest price I have found available to me is ~$14. It's not a lot of money overall, but the principal of paying $14 for a $3 part irks me. It's overpriced based on that. From what I can tell, it's a fairly low pressure water seal, shouldn't be a problem for gasket maker.