1977 evinrude 35 hp

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Hey everyone,
Helping my neighbor with his 1977 evinrude 35 horse. Fixed most stuff and cleaned up some stuff someone else messed up. Running good. Removed the bolts and nut that hold the gear case on so I could pull it and change out the water pump. Anyone know where to undo the shift shaft on that motor. I have a 1985 30 hp and you access it through the water pickup screen. This one is not that way. I can see the connector in the parts breakdown but not where to access it. The only thing I can guess is there is an exhaust port cover near that area but the two screws don't want to come out...at least easily. There is nothing under the carb. Model number is 35702h

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Cover and gasket (cover, at least) needs to come off. Work carefully. Use some ATF with the leg on its side. Brass connector is underneath.

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Yes, thought so. Put a little heat to it but the gasket started smoking out the exhaust. Standard head screws no wonder they didn't keep that system long. One starts to move but as you know is it moving or is it snapping. ATF I know but "leg on its side"? You mean lay it down and pour ATF on it and wait?

Thing is I have not seen any salt damage. Tough one, help a neighbor and break it, always a good thing!

ct1762@gmail.com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Well here in saltwater land, i've had to drill a few out! Hated to do it, but even a torch and weeks of soaking wouldn't budge it. Might have to go that rout, then a little of the ole' drill n' tap . if its left off, it will sound like a mini-dragster and need to be jetted accordingly on the high speed. I'm sure it would give it some extra punch, if you can stand the noise!

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
Okay, so I guess I tell the neighbor..."right now everything works but the impeller is old. should we f*** it all up and maybe have an unusable motor? Your Call"

Always fun working on motors.

robstead

Seaman
Good news is going this route will make it simpler down the road..always forward never back

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Settle on an as-is price for the motor, and either buy it from your neighbor now or agree to buy it at that price if your fix fails.