1977 175hp new starter spinning backwards

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, I've got a 175hp that I just put a new started on because the old one was sticking and staying on all the time. I put the new one on and it spins, but it doesn't engage. After looking closer, it's actually spinning in the opposite direction it needs to spin to engage the flywheel. Is this just something where someone before me hooked up a battery cable backwards or what?

Regards,

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nates if your starter was sticking and continue to run you may need a solenoid also ,however check for positive 12.6 volts on the starter stud that red wire hooks to when trying to start use caution of moving parts.if you have +12 volts send starter back. good luck:joyous:

tblshur

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nates if your starter was sticking and continue to run you may need a solenoid also ,however check for positive 12.6 volts on the starter stud that red wire hooks to when trying to start use caution of moving parts.if you have +12 volts send starter back. good luck:joyous:

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are certain it is backwards, right? The starter should rotate counter-clockwise to turn the flywheel clockwise. Just asking...

That should be a permanent magnet starter, and yes it will run backwards if the battery / cables are reversed at the time. In the past doesn't count for this matter, but will have destroyed other parts. Also, most people don't know this but it is possible to charge a battery backwards.