1977 17' K&C thermoglass Rebuild

Clearcutter

Recruit
Hi All,

Well this is my first post after lerking for well over a year. Can't say how much I love this site, So much info on here from a lot of really great people.

I bought my first boat a few years ago, It's a 1977 17' K&C Thermoglass, They were built in Richmond, B.C. up till the mid 80's I think. They were a fairly popular boat judging from the numbers that I still see hiding in peoples back yards around here.
The first few outings were fine, Did a few little things to the motor (timing belt, Raw water pump) and it ran like a champ. it has a Volvo Penta AQ140A with a 280 leg.
I knew something was up when I could smell gas in the bilge:(
with a completely built in tank I knew it was going to be a pain to get it out and I was nervous about what I would find down there.
Sure enough it was all rotten and patched over by a really poor fix up job.
There was pooled up resin in spots over an inch and a half.
So at this point I have everything gutted and have been Grinding and grinding and grinding.......
I probably have at least 10 more hours of grinding left to get rid of the mess left by the last fixer upper.
I bought the Plywood for the transom last week and plan to get the Glass supplies next week. I plan on using Poly resin and 1.5oz csm with 1708 in layers where needed. I live on Vancouver Island and have nice boat supply stores close at hand which is nice but they do seem to charge a premium. I like to buy local but don't want to get ripped off either!

The transom is curved on this boat so my plan is to laminate it with 1/2" one layer at a time. then I was going to do the stringers with two layers of 3/4" laminated together.

I have been doing all the grinding with the boat outside on the trailer but as soon as I'm done grinding I will be building a cradle/dolly to support the hull and finish the rest in the garage.

Well thats a lot for the first post so I will try to add some pictures and hopefully get some help along the way.

Thanks!

IMG_5270.jpg

Clearcutter

Recruit
Re: 1977 17' K&C thermoglass Rebuild

Pics of her during our maiden voyage with her.

She looked so good when I got her!
DCP_2314.jpg

DCP_2321.jpg

DCP_2324.jpg

Good times!
IMG_5276.jpg

Clearcutter

Recruit

Oh no what Happened!!
IMG_7093.jpg

The leaky tank, it was really pitted in lots of spots and leaking from at least two
IMG_7097.jpg

Lots of really saturated and rotten wood
IMG_7107.jpg

Outside shot of the transom. It was pretty solid but really saturated and starting to rot. A REAL pita to get out thats for sure!
IMG_7112.jpg

Stringers and hull after all the foam and tank were taken out and cleaned up.
IMG_7111.jpg

I tried to get a shot of the really crappy fix up job. the Resin was pooled up over an inch in the corner with carpet glued over it, Yuck what a mess!
IMG_7121.jpg

Clearcutter

Recruit

This was the same corner after grinding for about 2 hours
IMG_7123.jpg

Work so far, A lot more to go
IMG_7126.jpg