1977 15' StarCraft Holiday Restomod

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Absolutely,Home Depot-Alexandria Moulding, I had it shipped to the store which made it cheaper than anything I could find. I figured for $8 I couldn't lose if it didn't work out. I am now waiting for my second piece to arrive, should be any day.

I am running the screws into the edge of the plywood under the top aluminum skin. Not ideal, but the plan is to use #4 x 1" long screws and was thinking I may skim some PL Premium or 5200 on the edge of the plywood after pre-drilling pilot holes.

Starting with this project, I found using BoltDepot.com for the majority of the fasteners I needed for the project was the cheapest alternative. They didn't have everything I wanted, but I was able to buy non-box quantities at a good price and made sure to get several extra of many of the smaller bolts and nuts for good measure.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some idiot around here forgot to check to see if the original rack would fit in the newly reconfigured side console... That dope has been fired and we will move on with a new rotary helm... Have not ordered it yet, but it will be in a week or two.

qrdyyb.jpg

Meanwhile I have been cutting and fitting the new console panels.

2442n9g.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah sounds just like that dolt who worked for, he stuck the steering cable in backwards on my new Seastar rotary NFB helm, good thing I caught it and canned him before I hit the water. :lol:

Consoles are looking oak-ie dokie from here. :encouragement:

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah sounds just like that dolt who worked for, he stuck the steering cable in backwards on my new Seastar rotary NFB helm, good thing I caught it and canned him before I hit the water. :lol:

Consoles are looking oak-ie dokie from here. :encouragement:

Huh, that dope sure does travel! I wanted to get placement for the hole on that side... Guess I will have to wait on that, lol.

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Probably the same guy the drilled a hole through the side of my boat, mounted the antenna for the vhf too close to the radio, got the wrong size axle for the trailer and ripped a brand new seat before he even installed it.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Probably the same guy the drilled a hole through the side of my boat, mounted the antenna for the vhf too close to the radio, got the wrong size axle for the trailer and ripped a brand new seat before he even installed it.

Well, at least I am not the only one who took this guy in and gave him responsibilities. This isn't the only mistake he made, but it was the one that wasn't easily corrected for free!

At least the rotary helm will allow a little more room on the back side.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Chris,
IF that piece of oak is red oak, seal it up very well, as red oak rots very fast.
The problem is that the cells in the red are open (length wise) and suck up water.
You can actually blow through red if you have a small piece.

White oak doesn't have this problem and is a good boat building wood.

Dan

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Chris,
IF that piece of oak is red oak, seal it up very well, as red oak rots very fast.
The problem is that the cells in the red are open (length wise) and suck up water.
You can actually blow through red if you have a small piece.

White oak doesn't have this problem and is a good boat building wood.

Dan

Thanks Dan, I found that when I went looking for a good wood to use. It is red oak, my plan was to stain it as seen (gunstock color) and seal it with spar. I figured (rationalized) it would probably be OK under my watch as it will not spend many days outside other than when it is in use. I kinda went with what was easy to get for now, I may change it out later when I am bored and want something to tinker with (read probably when it is wood dust junk, lol).

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class
Some idiot around here forgot to check to see if the original rack would fit in the newly reconfigured side console... That dope has been fired and we will move on with a new rotary helm... Have not ordered it yet, but it will be in a week or two.

Ha! I was SOOOOOOO close to being that guy. Like, a 1/4" narrower and there's no way the rack would have fit. Sorry it didn't quite work out for you, er, I mean the dope that was working for you.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Exactly, good thing it wasn't me, I would have felt dumb!

Photo Bucket was used for a couple pictures because Tinypic (a PH company) was acting stupid, seems to be OK now...

No forward progress to report. I have been dinking with it, but I just started a re-roof project on our house (because a friend had time, NOW) so this get set on the back burner again. I hope to have that wrapped up in the next week or so, but then I will be on to another project... The projects never cease!!! The joys of being an adult!

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm getting ready to order my new rotary helm. I measured the boat per instructions and come up with 14' - 2" with the added 6" they tell you to add for my set up. They say to round up to the next foot, but that seems like a lot to round up in this case. Can I go 14' or should I just order the 15'?

Thanks,

Watermann

Yeah get the 15', you can always take up the little bit of slack but you can't make them grow. Also I absolutely love the Seastar NFB 4.2 helm I have on the SS, I won't ever go back to having an OB with a regular helm.

GreenHoliday

Seaman Apprentice
What are the advantages of a rotary helm over whatever came stock in these boats (rack and pinion?)?

Watermann

Not a whole lot of difference in performance between rotary and R&P of the same era but the newer NFB rotary helms with cables are head and shoulders above. The biggest feature of the No Feed Back helms is that they accept no input from the motor end of the cable and the wheel turns 4.2 turns lock to lock. Rotary also takes less room under the dash.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Progress has become extremely slow, many projects around the house to keep me occupied. I still need to buy a new steering system, I could buy it today, but I kind of got sick of spending money on it, lol. So, while I get my head right I will just pick at it and plan for a Spring 2018 splash!

This was my first failed attempt at making a new bracket for the side console wood. I didn't plan my cuts very well.

L9IEAcZ.jpg

So, I laid it out a little better for the next one.

zN2GtFs.jpg

I am not the best at taking step by step pictures, but here it is cut and bent.

2Nyq63R.jpg

Much better the second time, I can actually put two screws in the wood panel near the edge at the top and bottom now.

aumZoEy.jpg

Watermann

Sick of spending money on your boat :eek: that's my favorite thing to do is spend disposable money on my boats since I don't have any other "toys".

Speaking of little Holidays, I let a 15' V5 Holly slip through my hands because she said I didn't need 4 boats. :lol:

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a couple other projects/interests on top of the home stuff I have been doing. I think I am just sick of spending money in general, roof on the house, replacing the entire kitchen, and various other "things". Even though I am doing the majority of it myself aside from some friends helping out with the roof, spending money is getting old! Seems like that is all I have done the last several months.

I keep an eye out for deals on parts for my Mustang project too. I have most of the "little" stuff bought, I just need injection, exhaust, interior, brakes, wheels, tires, top, and I think I'll quit now...

LfS1k52.jpg

Funny, I had a friend talk me out of acquiring another boat recently, he said the last thing I need is another "project". My wife doesn't care too much, but at the same time she knows a lot of the stuff I drag home makes money. The Holiday and the Mustang are going to be exceptions to the "norm", but I have zero interest in selling either one for the foreseeable future.

dozerII

Admiral
Looks like your too busy to get in trouble at least, that's probably why the wife doesn't care ;):D

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not much time for boat this last year... Between work schedule/home projects, and other events and projects I've just about had zero time to play. My oldest daughter and her hubby made us grandparents in February so of course we've been getting together with them more, lol. Our youngest just graduated high school, and of course that leads to a graduation party which in turn makes you want to get outside and inside projects done for the people coming who will never know the difference...

Anyway, the kitchen is complete minus a few small details that will be done this weekend. This little project turned into a redo of the half bath and all the flooring on the main floor of the house. I still have not put the crown molding up on the top of the cabinets, I am leaning towards not doing it, I like it the way it is.
y4mcHJPucO2CN9OcH-wkEOwHA0TjlaC1OGHqz-sixp-Hug844pO0LNy2IeeFRUeiMZqtyBpVZqvW6rMdtVyAWIq4ukh0u5gYd-REzR5yLhPGfdaIkO1ETiqkz98qvz_hIWHQ0ohMN0JB2Rszr0tk30M1lblYFMoW_kzmlZTx5jQap5TtAkfqxg-JizZhz4L81_uRDp2_WMubhRGTICDux_SNg

y4mAq3QtvzZaKxeJOROVzMmuTDAjyBtwmsO5w0xPh2_qCEqdxevOhXi73gWRzB1ARr9XbooF8dMZZMomrqsjo_IR4_4QWN25aOitTwirSyDL3_vUBKyou9nkWI4zefMcFRVBLikNj77gJl82Ygft_lLq9toBXzXeRXglNavfElqvsLcPlde5-8Ec5OSgoDRjjFfIswkgP-D_sTBH7G3L61esQ

I finally feel like I am not making "my stuff" a priority and can resume boat work. I took today off of work so I could start clearing the accumulation of clutter from around the boat so I can start making preparations for paint. Still a ways to go, but the end is finally in sight.

BTW, thanks Watermann for the OneDrive suggestion he made a while back. I've been reluctant to post as of late because it seems like I can never either log in or upload photos to tinypic anymore. Since they are owned by PB, I've wondered if they are trying to kill it off. OneDrive is a little clunky feeling when wanting to post a pic compared to tinypic, but seems to work pretty well.

Here's some of the small details I have managed to complete. I need to order a new wheel, I just cannot decide what I want yet...

y4m9RDLVRa9TSvvWbveib2CQ_5ZxaxhLNfUWsNHOzVJfjXbmt1tdy64x_npisVJQnSyBjKOr9iWczO4RaQJeVQ4Kjx72FOhHpcsSy3SM1Cjv7YVfW1YiSGHHMAe5c38JEoPsJSDoXhu061qkuBed-D9aU-ZpOqkDFOefxaUYjYbKqzO_sVlIDlbEEseBAKHiV_c3ZTO7rbNXZXgvMJFAOz6wQ

y4mnTprFFnNORAktVSawuhRrtDFZd4UQdq6hN4xItoc8jq4mlN2_Syd5sFw_u-2fDqcjxprsdYrR1_5WNj18xqkQeALj5AwPch_mXBZuNSfIucPZ8qbn2X3AKJcTBztDVrHmS2rkWe1s63Ld2RyyT7IB6tF2VOV4yscctCf1_zqdxgyi8QjvLDvzDoJLiAi75rSaPV1EUWyindJYtDGApkx3A

And this is how they mount.

y4m0A9WHXmqIJieS7lxTm6yS8655o0NGa2qQhXPYWXEDNZL33a6ID06IV5FV6IX7VTT5haVKML-aKU0b0vKyHlPD573IoP5j3gESiNl4t6f5cC5KWnQUFzUEeHhtoGdOWLaSkBAPwuwz8yBb9mbhgp8Yd3R0VtxBs1-pjQLJez4iwcuZWcBTyLZjZ41Vk_Ia-38hU6oKiIFsCJywSIfyKOeyQ

Watermann

Nice work on the remodel, I need to do some update work in my place too.

Yeah I can't see MS OD going the way of PB.

Glad to see you back on the HollySS :thumb: