1977 140 HP OMC Lower Unit Not lowering

Paraflier

Cadet
Is there a 'release' somewhere on it that I could use to lower it down? I see the cog wheels and motor unit that looks like it holds fluid.... Is there a 'freewheel' anywhere?

Can't seem to figure out why the unit won't lower or raise... No noise, clicks or movement with the dash switch. It worked 2 years ago! lol :rolleyes:

I want to at least get the unit running, but to do that, I need to lower the unit. (If I didn't know better, I'd say one answer makes 3 or 4 new questions...):facepalm:

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1977 140 HP OMC Lower Unit Not lowering

You can manually lower it by removing the 3 bolts that are connected to the half moon gear. They are 9/16 size.

Move the half moon gear to where you want it, then replace the bolts.

Sorry no manual 'wheel' or anything like that...

lmjpsl

Cadet

You need to check if you're getting 12 volts to your tilt motor. I would start there with troubleshooting. If you're not getting 12 volts, then the problem is above it such as the solenoid, wiring or switch. If you are, then the problem is likely the tilt motor.

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

If your solenoid is working correctly you will usually hear a " click " when you hit the switch to raise or lower the unit.

Paraflier

Cadet

Thanks for the info... Right now I am trying to get it to start, then that will be my next issue. :) Just needed to get the lower unit down so I could hook up my flush and try to start. There is no sound at all... Hoping it is the switch. (They're cheaper than a solenoid or motor...)

sYnOnYx

Seaman Apprentice

I'd start with the solenoids first. Then move on to the Neutral Safety switch, fuses, etc.

Get a book if you don't already have one.