1977 115hp evinrude... unidentified piece of plastic in thermostat housing... pics...

everhart57

Cadet
Ok... so this is the one that I didn't know if it was two stroke or four.... I disconnected the kill wire and got it started no problem.... was letting it idle a little and then the idle went through the roof before I could disconnect the battery wire... it's now giving the overheat alarm... it was like 20 seconds maybe... did I destroy anything? and why did the idle do that?

Thanks for any help you might provide....

Also... I just took off the upper thermostat houseing.... the two ports behind the housing going into the motor are filled with looks like some type of sealant? I mean filled... they are not passages to anywhere? what could this be? any clue? I am fairly certain this is not normal lol ...anyone have a diagram of the engine... water ports and such?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1977 evinrude... two questions... I'm a little scared....

Model # ????

everhart57

Cadet

oh... sorry about that... I believe its 115799s

ok... update... after some prying the stuff out.... it's not a sealant.... it's a piece of something plastic but I have looked at impellers from this era and it doesn't appear to be an impeller piece.... here is a pic of the most identifiable piece of said plastic... maybe someone knows...
IMG_20120521_195327.jpgIMG_20120521_195335.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your mtr and go to p/h. Real good diagrams of what you have. They look like the melted ends off of blow off valves.