1976 Skipjack 24' Flybridge

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class
This boat isn't much of a 'restoration' per say, but it's my project.

I bought the boat for $2250.00 and the engine does not run. The boat didn't come with a trailer so I think I paid a fair price. These are fairly sought after here in Southern California and I took awhile to find this one.

The original owner, Ed, loved this boat and took very good care of it. He however was an older guy and hurt his shoulder and couldn't do much with the boat for about 18 months. He sold the boat for $500 to another guy at the marina, we'll call him "The Kid" who owned a Skipjack. He was excited to try to make a pretty penny off of this one. He listed it on CL for $5100, which is about 1/2 of what the others I've been looking at were listed at.

He started it right up, made a youtube video of it running and it sounded great, but he ran it on the gas that was in the tank (after being told not to explicitly by Ed). When I arranged to come take a look at it he was fiddling around trying to get it to start. No go. I told him I'd buy if it the carb was just gummed up, but I needed to check the compression first. He gave me the green light and I got started checking the cylinders for compression. No good on the first 3 cylinders. I thought my gauge was bad so I checked my truck in the parking lot and it was working properly.

I packed up my tools and told him basically it was no bueno, he said "make me an offer". I offered him $1500, he accepted and before I could put the money in his hands (had to run to the bank around the corner) the guy from two slips down comes over and starts shootin' the breeze. He starts talking about how the seats are worth $400 a piece and the new canvas cover was $600...blah blah blah. The Kid decides he wants to hold out and see if he can sell it for $3000.00. We settled on $2250 and the boat is mine. That guy cost me $750.00!

This all went down in March and I just finally hauled the boat home. I had to buy a trailer and it took me awhile to get it all setup. The trailer was more work than I thought it would be. New disc brakes, all that rust removal, sanding, and painting was a bear. I setup all new bunks and it's all good to go with the boat finally sitting in my driveway.

The Good:
The boat is pretty clean inside and out. The stringers are sound and the boat has been well kept.

The Bad:
The engine doesn't run - Needs a rebuild
The fuel tank is corroded and rusted, I smell gas, so leaking.
No Electronics on the boat. Ed used charts....

The outdrive is basically still a big "?". The plan is to remove it, clean it all up, sand it, paint it, and pressure test it. I'll have it fully serviced and I'll likely sell it and buy a brand new one. I have no reason to believe anything is wrong with this one, but my plan is to replace all of the mechanical parts on this boat. I plan to use this offshore and don't want to get stuck because I cut a corner while it was hauled out. Everything else is just so "fresh" and I feel like a decade and half old outdrive that has been stored in the marina for that entire period will be the obvious weakness in this boat. I may use it for a season or two while I get familiar with the local areas here and being out in the saltwater. But when it comes time for channel crossings and longer trips a little further out I'll want something I can really believe in.

Attachments

• DSCN2965.jpg
    DSCN2965.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2966.jpg
    DSCN2966.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2967.JPG
    DSCN2967.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1976 Skipjack 24' Flybridge

I'm just curious, what engine does it have?

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sweet looking boat, Looks like a 280 hangin off the back, toughest drive known to man IMHO, A DP lower would really wake that boat up......

Good luck with her :)

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm just curious, what engine does it have?

It has a 7.4l (454). The boat originally had 2x V6 engines and the original owner replaced them with a single BBC with the 280 in the mid 90's.

Sweet looking boat, Looks like a 280 hangin off the back, toughest drive known to man IMHO, A DP lower would really wake that boat up......

Good luck with her :)

I'll look into that. I've heard good things about these outdrives, so I'll probably clean it up, check it out and use it while I'm out here locally checking the boat out and gaining experience here locally offshore.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, this was a pretty busy weekend. The boat doesn't have a drain plug installed. When the transom was rebuilt I guess the original owner felt a drain plug was unnecessary. The boat was kept in the marina so maybe he felt it's just another weak spot and place to get a leak and left it off.

Well, my bilge was full of gasoline and without the ability to just drain it out, I had to pump it out with the bilge pump. A very dangerous excercise that I am glad is for the most part behind me. I am unsure how much damage the gasoline has done to the bilge or to any other areas of the boat that may have been or is still sitting. I have removed most of it from the bilge, but as it was leaking I had to shift focus to draining the tank immediately. It just keeps refilling the bilge.

So I drained 55 gallons of NASTY varnish from the fuel tank. I had to put it in 5 gallons containers and take it down to our cities hazardous waste collection site in batches of 15 gallons. They will only take 15 gallons at a time as they don't want you to drive around with a trunk FULL of gasonline. It was about an hour round trip to drop them off so that was a great way to kill the day.

I need to pump more crud out of the bilge again, but what comes out will be considered hazardous waste and so I need more containers and the local walmart's combined only had 11 so I'm in a little bit of a holding pattern. I may just order a 15 gallon container from amazon and try to get it all out at once. I really don't like having gasoline in the bottom of the boat. I can tell it's doing damage to the bilge as I see nasty chunks floating around. I'm suspecting this is going to suck....a lot. Hopefully someone has some experience with this. Does fiberglass hold up against gasoline? I've tried adding water to dilute it, but all I can do is try to get it out and disposed of as fast as possible.

After this I'll remove the engine and the fuel tank and try to get a better picture for what has happened.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My ulrichsen did not have a transom drain either. It seems the low point in this hull style is forward. mine had a garboard drain plug forward in the V berth.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have searched and searched and just don't see any kind of drain anywhere. It's annoying because there's still just nasty crap in the bilge and a lot of it is gasoline. I know I can buy a drain plug and install it. I'm just nervous about drilling a hole in the transom I guess. My only other option is to go ahead and pull this engine out now.

I am sort of low on funds and I have a family vacation in a couple of weeks so I'm trying to get this handled without much cost. If I use something like towels to sop up the gasoline how in the world would I dispose of them afterward? It's not that much left anymore, but certainly it would be dangerous to have gasoline soaked towels and I can't think of anything that would make a good container for them.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have searched and searched and just don't see any kind of drain anywhere. It's annoying because there's still just nasty crap in the bilge and a lot of it is gasoline. I know I can buy a drain plug and install it. I'm just nervous about drilling a hole in the transom I guess. My only other option is to go ahead and pull this engine out now.

I am sort of low on funds and I have a family vacation in a couple of weeks so I'm trying to get this handled without much cost. If I use something like towels to sop up the gasoline how in the world would I dispose of them afterward? It's not that much left anymore, but certainly it would be dangerous to have gasoline soaked towels and I can't think of anything that would make a good container for them.

Gas soaked towels would make a good start for a campfire!

Looks like a nice project, keep the pics coming as you progress..

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks...I will definitely post pics!

So, I think my idea is to use the oil pumper and just hook a garden hose to it to pump the sludge out of the bilge. After it's just about all gone I'll install a drain plug. I picked one up today to install. The design of the drain plug seems to be such that you just drill a hole in the boat and install the drain plug. This seems like it would invite rot into the transom (which may vary well be why it wasn't installed). Is there a particularly type of drain plug that seems best to use? The el cheapo I bought for $9.00 seems like down the road I'll wish I hadn't installed it.

Trooper82

Commander

If you use 3M 5200 on the tube, it will seal out any water from gaining access to the transom wood.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Nice Skippy. If that's how she looked when you got her, you still stole her.

If you are installing a drain plug- after you drill coat the inside of the hole with Epoxy to seal the wood in and around the transom then use 5200 when you install it to make sure it never moves. It may be over kill but it'll be a better way to go.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice on the drain plug guys. I'm still on the fence on whether to install it or not. I like the idea of leaving it a bath tub back there with very few openings into the transom, particularly below the waterline.

As far as stealing the skippy...I still feel like I stole it too. It's going to be a bit of work to get it into full working order, but it's not an over the top project boat. I talked to my marine mechanic and he said he'll do R&R for the engine for less than $1000.00. I'll probably have him come up and help seeing as this is my first one and I don't know what all needs to be addressed.

I found a reputable machine shop and he says he'll rebuild it for about $2200.00 so all told it'll probably be about $4000.00 to get a freshly rebuilt engine into the boat. I'm leaving an extra $1000 for hoses, belts, alternator, and whatever else I should go ahead and replace at the time of install.

I already bought some manifolds and risers so that expense is cut down. Just a fuel tank, engine and a little work rebuilding the control box up top and she'll be ready for the water. I had some unexpected expenses come up (such is life) and my girlfriends car just blew a head gasket so I'm in a little spot and this project is going into a bit of a holding pattern.

If we hit our quarter bonus at work (looking unlikely) I'll have the funds to replace the fuel tank right away and it may be a few months before I'm ready for that engine swap.

Luhrs28

Chief Petty Officer

My Luhrs has no drain plugs either. (it did have a garboard drain but I plugged it and epoxied over it permanently) While the drain might be handy now once you get her out on the water and the hull is flexing in rough water you'll be happy to know there are no drains.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer

If I use something like towels to sop up the gasoline how in the world would I dispose of them afterward? It's not that much left anymore, but certainly it would be dangerous to have gasoline soaked towels and I can't think of anything that would make a good container for them.

you live in california..do you have a covered open air area anywhere? just hang the rags up and let them dry naturally...even stupid dead gas will evaporate.

I drained a truck's gas tank that sat for 10 years and just dumped the gas into 5 gallon buckets under my overhang and left them there for a week.

week later they were all empty and dry except for some rust and other tank debris in the bottoms.

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I may just go ahead and do that in a few days if the rest doesn't evaporate out from the bilge. There shouldn't be too much left. I cleaned the deck so more water went down there, but it's not all that much. I bailed out as much gas using a solo cup as possible. I'm making the arrangements already to get this engine pulled. I look forward to inspecting this bilge and painting it white! It's terrible not being able to see just how messy it is. I want to be able to see if anything is spilling down there.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Neat project,......

Just following along to see what happens,..

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a few questions about wood. This is my first saltwater boat and thus my first experience with wood on the boat. I would like to refinish all of the wood on the boat, but I don't know where to start. Some pieces appear to be teak, others I'm not sure about.

I would also like to replace those ugly orangish/salmon colored pads from under the gunwales. They are currently holding in saddle tanks and I'd like to just replace them with nicely finished wood pieces. Should absolutely everything be teak or is there an alternative?

I imagine the door isn't teak, but I guess I just need the basic rundown on wood for boats. In my search for information I'm not coming up with the combination of words that are leading me to the information I'm looking for. Any resources would be helpful...

I figured I'd start with that cutting board on top of the bait tank. It needs some love for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0190.JPG
    IMG_0190.JPG
    114.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0191.JPG
    IMG_0191.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0193.JPG
    IMG_0193.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0194.JPG
    IMG_0194.JPG
    102.2 KB · Views: 0

laserbrn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have accomplished a couple of things on this boat so far. I needed to purchase a vehicle to tow it so I picked up a Ford E-350 Van with a V10 and tow package. Should do just fine.

I was working on cleaning up the gelcoat on the Skipjack, but the van was in pretty rough shape and needed the attention. The previous owner probably hadn't washed it in 2 years and it looked like he parked it under a tree. It took me all week to get this paint back into reasonable shape. I checked all of the fluids in it and they all look good and clean and the sticker said it had an oil change 1800 miles ago. I just don't understand how someone could take reasonably good mechanical care of a vehicle, but just let it look like a bucket. I'm guessing he didn't drive it very often.

Anyway, that takes care of one of the major steps...fuel tank/motor should be next. Just gotta save up the funds and get the project going.

Here's some pictures of how the boat looked before clean up and some pictures of the van after I cleaned it up. I didn't take any "before" pictures of the van, but all of my friends said it looked like a "predator van" and that I should paint "free candy" on it so you get the idea, lol.

After the full cleanup is finished (compounding, polishing, waxing) I'll move onto removing that worn out rub rail and replacing it with something new.

I also cleaned up a little bit of the wood on the boat so it's looking a little better on the interior too.

Attachments

• IMG_0200.JPG
    IMG_0200.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0210.JPG
    IMG_0210.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG